Chapter 13

"Hmmm...I want some chicken quesadillas. No wait...I want a Jalisco Burrito with everything on it," the blonde woman with the pink and purple summer dress had her lips pursed and her brows furrowed in concentration as she attempted to choose something off of the menu while another woman sat across from her.

Jacob, who was standing nearby, wasn't waiting on their table but he rolled his eyes anyway.

"Lisa...the burritos will make you get cellulite."

"Shut up Tiffany. I like burritos," the woman in the pink and purple dress changed her mind yet again, "Okay...I think I want the taco plate. No wait...I want nachos."

Maria, their waitress, smiled and said with a thick Spanish accent, "Would you like me to come back later?"

Tiffany looked at Maria with a curled lip, "Why would we want that? We're ordering right now. Can't you understand English?"

Maria was in her forties and learned long ago not to argue with customers, "Okay then what can I get you?"

"Okay," Lisa said, "I'm going to get the Jalisco burrito with everything in it except avocado. I'm severely allergic to avocado so none can be in it okay?"

Maria nodded, "No avocado."

Tiffany ordered the nachos and then Maria headed for the kitchen to place their orders.

Jacob was standing by the table holding the water pitcher. He had the unfortunate pleasure of listening to Lisa and Tiffany's conversation.

"Ugh I like Mexican food but I hate Mexican restaurants," Tiffany said.

"Why's that?" Lisa was eating a nacho chip.

"Because they always have illegals working in them. They don't always understand you and it's annoying."

Lisa laughed and agreed.

"Excuse me," Lisa was waving her hand at Jacob. "Hablas English?"

Jacob smiled but didn't say a word.

"See?" Tiffany asked, "I bet he doesn't understand any English. You would think he would at least try to learn English if he's going to live in America."

"Tiffany, what if he does speak English?"

"Then he would've said something by now instead of just standing there like an idiot."

"He's cute though," Lisa giggled.

"Who cares. He's probably illegal too." Tiffany grabbed a chip and began eating it. Before going to return the water pitcher, Jacob walked over to their table and asked, "¿Quieres un poco de agua?"

Both women rolled their eyes. "We don't understand you!" Tiffany said frustrated.

Jacob smiled at both of them before saying, "I'm sorry. I was asking if either of you wanted more water."

He spoke perfect English.

Tiffany turned a light color of red, "Did you hear everything I said?"

Jacob smiled, "Everything." He walked away before they could say anything else.

Jacob didn't really like rude customers like them. They were always demanding and never tipped well. He watched Maria put in the orders. He was glad she had gotten them instead of him. He didn't like Maria much either. She stole tips but no one could prove it. All the other waitresses complained about her. Jacob smiled as a plan suddenly came to him. After a few minutes, he put down his water pitcher and walked to the back kitchen. He had seen Maria helping new customers.