Final Chapter

"Pull over here. I need you to get me some coffee," Vincent instructed Holly who was driving him from the hospital.

"Are you sure it's okay just to leave like that?" Holly asked. "I didn't think they'd let you leave."

"I signed a release that if anything happens, the hospital wasn't liable for it. Now get me some coffee dammit."

"You sure do like your coffee," Ian said from the backseat. He caught eyes with Holly in the rearview mirror and winked at her.

Vincent ignored him as Holly pulled into a local café. "Did you want the usual sir?"

"Yes and get Mr. Crawford back there the same."

"Actually," Ian interjected. "I'd like a peach tea please."

"Okay. I'll be right back." Holly ran inside the café and Vincent turned to Ian.

"What's your deal boy?"

"Excuse me?" Ian asked, not sure where Vincent was going with this.

"I made her get some coffee so I can talk to you alone. Why are you all of a sudden chasing after Holly like a dog in heat? She's not exactly the type you associate with," Vincent's eyebrows narrowed together. "You and I aren't exactly friends so why tag along?"

"I like Holly. She's sweet. As for you...no, we aren't friends. Still, you fascinate me. From an actor's point of view I like to know what makes you tick."

Vincent chuckled, "You expect me to believe that?"

"It's the truth."

"I've seen the trash mags with you and girls like Lauren Bolgers. All of a sudden you're chasing a mouse like Holly. I think you're trying to get closer to me...the question is why."

It was Ian's turn to laugh, "You really are an arrogant man. The rumors about you are true. I have actually thought of leaving sooner than later. How would you feel if I took Holly with me?"

"As a personal assistant?" Vincent shrugged. "Everyone's replaceable."

"You can't possibly mean that. You're a father. What about your children? You can't possibly think they're replaceable?"

Vincent leaned back in his seat and closed his eyes, "Like I said...everyone is replaceable."

Ian didn't respond to Vincent's reply but sat quietly in the backseat until they saw Holly coming towards the car. She was on her cellphone and she disconnected the call before getting inside.

"That took forever," Vincent muttered and took his coffee from her.

"Sorry, the lines were long." She passed Ian his tea and looked at Vincent, "Do we go to your house Mr. McDaniels?"

"Yes, but not my apartment...my home."

"The one in the woods?" she asked, her voice filled with surprise.

Vincent took a sip of his coffee and began thinking of what his next step would be. He hadn't been out to his old house in weeks. He was in no condition to fight anyone so if he had to go face to face with Christopher, he would need a gun. The last time he visited his old house, he stocked it with weapons just in case he needed it. If he had to, he could use Holly and Ian as a distraction. If they died in the line of fire...so be it. He didn't trust Ian. Was his excuse of wanting to study him really legitimate? Holly was still waiting for an answer and Vincent sighed, "Yes, the one in the woods. It looks like some family members want to come calling."

They drove to Vincent's old home and Holly drove down the gravel driveway that led to the back of the house, "Do you two want to get off in front? I'll meet you both inside."