Chapter 14

"Revenge?" Eva stared into the eyes of David Wilson, the man she shared a child with. She pushed him away, stepping out of his grasp, "Is it you?"

"I'm David," he gave her a pleading look, "I thought you believed me."

"No. Are you the one that's...that's killing people?" her eyes darted around the room, looking for a possible weapon.

David sighed, "Eva I am not a murderer! I have no idea who's killing those people."

"Why haven't you gone to the police to clear you name?" Eva asked.

David gave a bitter laugh, "And tell them what, exactly? Hi my name is David and I've been framed to be the Demon King? I think someone got a whole bunch of plastic surgery to pretend to be me and that's the person that was killed? Oh and if I don't sound crazy enough...that person was my dead half-brother Christopher McDaniels." David looked at Eva and asked a rhetorical question, "What do you think the police are going to do?"

"You could tell Sally Roux," Eva suggested. She walked to the kitchen with David in tow. She grabbed two mugs and poured some coffee in both. She handed one to David.

"The FBI agent?" David scoffed, "She thinks she killed me! She won't exactly be on my side."

"If you're who you say you are, she could do a blood test and check if you're the real David," Eva suggested looking away.

A moment of silence passed between them as David stared at Eva and she stared at anything but him.

"You still don't believe me?" He asked in a whisper. When she didn't respond he chuckled, "Of course you don't. I wouldn't expect anything less from the reporter Eva Lewis." He took a drink of coffee from his mug.

Eva shrugged her shoulders, "I don't understand why you haven't been trying to clear your name instead of getting revenge. What exactly is this revenge anyway? Who are you trying to get revenge with?"

"My father."

Eva knew that Vincent McDaniels was David's father. "Why?"

"Do you have to ask?"

"I know why I've been upset with him...but you?" Eva put her mug down and walked back to the living room.

"I used to worship him when I was a kid. Up until I went to college and then that fire happened," David sat down and sighed. "After Christopher was pronounced dead I expected Vincent to be angry. Do you know what he told me?"

Eva shook her head.

"Do you want to get some pizza? So casual. Like he didn't even care." David looked at Eva and shook his head in dismay, "His son just died and he didn't give a shit. I thought that maybe he was trying to be strong for me but then he got a call from some woman. I heard him making plans to hook up with some whore right after his son died. What kind of asshole does that, Eva?"

He stood up and paced around the living room, "He didn't care that Christopher had just died so why would he care about me? He was a phony. Ever since that day, things were different. I stopped taking his calls. I stopped going hunting with him. I was so angry that he didn't care about Christopher. It all makes sense now."

"What makes sense?" Eva asked.

"The reason he didn't care. Christopher didn't really die." David took another sip of coffee from his mug before putting it down.

Eva didn't quite follow, "Then who died in that fire?"

"I'm not sure. It could've been anyone. They might have planned the whole thing for all I know."