Chapter 18

"Vincent...please don't make me do this. I thought you were clean now."

"What makes you think I'm not clean?" Vincent asked Wanda who was dressed in a long skirt, a white tank top, and jean jacket.

"If you're clean, why are you asking me to pick up your stash?"

"Lots of reasons. I guess the main reason is that I can." Vincent smiled as he looked over at Wanda. He had parked in front of a Motel 6. "I'll wait for you here sister." He handed Wanda an envelope full of cash. She took it and stuffed it in her bra.

"Fine. I'll be right back."

Wanda walked over to the assigned room number. The door opened to reveal a handsome man with dirty blonde hair. "Wanda?"

Wanda nodded, "That's me honey."

He smiled and opened the door so she could enter. "Well look who we have here!" A woman Wanda knew as Cindy stood up from the bed and crossed the room to her, "It's been a long time Wanda. I didn't think you still bought."

"I don't."

"Then what are you doing here?"

"A favor. You got my stuff?"'

Cindy giggled, "What's the rush Wanda? Don't you want to try it out?"

"No. I just want to hurry and get this over with."

"You hear that Ben? She doesn't want to play." Cindy looked at the handsome man that had opened the door. He didn't seem to be amused with Cindy. He looked bored and annoyed. "You're no fun," she said to both Cindy and Ben. "Let me go get it. It's in the bathroom. I'll be right back."

When Cindy left Wanda and Ben together, she studied him. "You're married."

"Yeah."

"Do you love your wife?"

"I wouldn't have married her otherwise."

Wanda laughed, "Does she know you're doing this?"

His silence was answer enough. Wanda cleared her throat, "It's hard to recover once you've gotten involved with someone like Cindy. You got kids?"

Ben nodded, "One. A son."

"Me too. He's grown now but he doesn't see me. I made too many mistakes." Ben looked at her and smiled, "All of our choices have consequences. Have you ever tried reaching out to him?"

"Why would I do that?"

"Because you can." Ben looked up and sighed. "I wish I had never gotten involved in all this. It's too late now though."

"No...it's never too late. Get out soon. When you start to spend time with evil people, it rubs off on you. I'm saying this from experience." Before Ben could respond, Cindy came back into the room, "Sorry I had to tinkle."

The transaction was completed and Wanda left behind Cindy and Ben. Poor Ben. He looked so sad after she left him behind in the hotel room with Cindy.

"You got it?" Vincent asked.

"Yes, I have it." Wanda tossed him the bag and he stuck it inside his coat pocket. "So sister...the day is young, where would you like to go next?"

Wanda stared out the window and thought for a moment before answering, "I want to see my son."

"Aahh my nephew. What's his name again?"

Wanda's eyes narrowed at Vincent. "Artie. His name is Artie."

Meanwhile

"You're being released from the hospital now?" Officer Dempsey looked at the handcuffed bald man with a barcode symbol tattooed on his forehead. "Give me an hour and I'll come get you, okay?"