Chapter 15

"What's that supposed to mean?" Sally asked as she tried to grab her camera from Vincent. He easily moved it out of her reach.

"I can't imagine that it's okay for you to be spying on me for no reason? Does your boss know you're doing this?" Vincent asked.

"You think we let every suspect know that we're watching them?"

"So you're saying I'm a suspect?" Vincent laughed. "How did you become an FBI agent? You're not very bright."

"Give me back my camera."

"Not until you tell me why you think I should be a suspect Special Agent Roux."

Sally's eyes narrowed at his mocking tone, "You wanna know what I think? I think too many coincidences surround you. You have a ton of crazy fans because one of your sons was a murderer and the other was a serial killer. I'm thinking the apple probably didn't fall too far from the tree in your family."

Vincent looked down and chuckled. "You're so cute. You said I had a ton of crazy fans, right? Well you'd be correct. They are crazy. I noticed that the media conveniently left out the name of the FBI agent that killed the Demon King. I was told it was for her safety. I wonder what would happen if I accidently let that information slip. You'd be surprised what my fans would do for me."

"Is that a threat?"

"No...it's just a hypothetical question."

Sally held out her hand, "Give me back my camera."

Vincent deleted the pictures she had taken of him. "I'll let this go for now because I have a soft spot for beautiful women. Do this again, and be prepared for the consequences." He handed the camera back to Sally and walked away. Sally cursed under her breath because despite the consequences, she wasn't going to stop watching Vincent McDaniels.

At the Police station

His shift was almost over and he still hadn't gotten a chance to talk with Officer Dempsey.

"Calm down Smith. Even if you can't get in touch with him, I'll call Joelynn myself," his partner Detective Ellis said as he inhaled a burrito.

"Will you stop eating for two minutes?"

Ellis shrugged, "No."

"Smith?" Officer Dempsey was coming towards him, "I heard you wanted to talk to me?"

"Yeah. Where have you been all day?"

Officer Dempsey suddenly became stiff, "That's none of your business. Just tell me what you want so I can be on my way."

"Now boys, no need to enter some kind of pissing contest," Ellis said in between burrito bites, "We're all in this together now."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Dempsey asked.

Smith handed Dempsey the note that he had found earlier at the crime scene. It was secured in a clear plastic evidence bag.

Dempsey read the note,"The Lewis woman is next. Where did you get this?" Dempsey asked.

"You know I handle homicides. Where do you think?" Smith asked. "Look, I know you were handling Eva's case and Joelynn talked to you a lot. I need you to warn her. This is probably about Eva but still...she needs to know."

"Why don't you tell her?" Dempsey asked.

"She hates him," Ellis said with a mouthful of burrito.

"Shut up Ellis!" Smith snapped at him.

"Someone's being a little touchy today." Ellis turned around to face his desk and finish his burrito.

"I'm asking you to keep an eye out for her," Smith said.