Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Special Agent Sally Roux sighed at the crime scene inside the pawn shop. It had been confirmed that the woman killed inside the Gold Nugget was Chalene Dornack, the wardrobe assistant. Her ID was inside the purse and after a few phone calls, Sally found herself working late with her partner, Donald Ferguson.

"I think we're about done here," Sally called out to him.

He didn't respond to her, which meant he was still angry.

"Are you giving me the silent treatment Ferguson? Aren't you a bit too old for that?" Sally asked.

He still didn't answer. Sally cursed under her breath as she made her way out of the pawn shop. She stepped outside and waited for her partner to exit. Once he did, she practically jumped in front of him. "I'm sorry!" she blurted out, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you about the vials of blood he was sending me. I'm not going to lie. I was tempted."

"Tempted?" Donald asked.

"Yes, tempted. You know how I feel about Vincent McDaniels. He's a walking criminal. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about using them to help get him behind bars."

"That's not the way to do things Roux. It's illegal." Donald tried getting past Sally who grabbed onto his arm.

"You think I don't know that? That's the only reason I didn't use them. It would make me as bad as Vincent. My hands would be just as dirty as his and this killer's. Still...I thought about it and I was ashamed. It's why I didn't tell you."

"So you were just going to keep them a secret forever?" Donald said in disbelief.

"I don't know. I honestly don't know. I'm glad you found them Donald. I'm not sure what I was going to do with them. I hope that I'd be ethical enough to turn them in...I think I would have but you saved me from making a poor decision."

She could see him relenting until he finally sighed and uncrossed his arms, "Fine. I believe you."

"We're partners and I should never have kept them a secret from you," Sally whispered.

"You promise you won't do it again?" Donald asked.

Sally nodded, "I promise."

He gave her a light punch in the shoulder, "Good. To celebrate our friendship, I'll treat us to McDonalds."

Sally rolled her eyes, "Not again!"

"What? The McRib is back," Donald laughed as he threw his keys in the air and caught them.

Sally watched him walk ahead of her and sighed. She hated lying to him but she didn't want to involve him in her theories about Christopher McDaniels being alive and sometimes ignorance really was bliss.

Meanwhile

"Did you miss me?"

Eva looked at the man in front of her and tried to speak. No words would come out of her mouth.

"I'm going to warn you right now not to scream Eva. If you do...I can't guarantee what I will or will not do. Our son is upstairs alone, isn't he?"

"Jacob's here," Eva lied.

David shook his head in dismay, "Do you really need to lie Eva? I know he's not home."

"You're supposed to be dead," Eva whispered in awe.

"I never died Eva. It's a long story and I need you to understand what happened to me."

"I don't believe this."

"Please Eva. Let me explain," David pleaded.

"What do you want?" she said taking a cautious step back. She knew she was going to have to run quickly in a few minutes.