Chapter 27

The bitter smells of urine and dried-up blood assaulted his nose. He could feel the cold floor beneath him and he groaned as he struggled to get up.

"Stupid bitch," he muttered.

As if to chastise him for cursing, his body suffered a sharp pain in his upper shoulder. She had tried to stab him in the chest but had missed. His head hurt. He touched his forehead but didn't feel any blood. He was bleeding from the wound that she had inflicted on him. He pulled out the small weapon from his body and laughed.

"What the hell? Are these chicken bones?"

Although he hated Eva Lewis, he couldn't deny she was resourceful. He second thought that as he noticed his cell phone on the floor. She didn't take his phone. He looked at the time. Only a few hours had passed. A tingly sense of apprehension filled him. Had she told the cops who he was yet? If she had, wouldn't the police be storming the place by now?

A small part of him wouldn't mind that. Perhaps it would free him from his obsession of the Demon King. Sometimes he wondered at it himself but when he had Eva chained up in front of him, he could only think of his mother who had been the cause of all his past pain. His mother had caused him to be hurt just like Eva had caused the Demon King to be hurt. He imagined that the Demon King would understand his actions...maybe even applaud him.

He slowly dragged himself up and cursed as he remembered that she had thrown her waste bucket at him. He sniffed himself and gave a defeated laugh. He needed a shower. He made his way upstairs to his bathroom where he stripped off his urine stained clothing and looked in the full length mirror.

Childhood scars stained his body. He didn't have to see them to know that thin red lines ran down his back from the time his twelve year old self had refused to listen to his mother's boyfriend. He lightly touched one of the cigarette burns across his lower abdomen. He touched the area where Eva had stabbed him and gave a rueful smile. It was just another scar to add to his collection.

After taking a hot shower, he treated the wound with disinfectant and bandaged himself up. It would hurt but not as much as his head which she had banged against the floor. Luckily, she had only slammed the side of his head into the floor, so his face was unmarred.

He walked out of the bathroom and wondered if the police would be coming soon. He was hungry and wanted to make a sandwich. He didn't want the police to interrupt him from eating. He cracked his knuckles as he thought of the Demon King, "Is this how he felt when he knew the police were probably on to him? Did he panic or was he calm...full of anticipation?" He carefully caressed his autographed copy of Vincent McDaniel's book, Raising the Demon King. He shouldn't have been drinking last night. It's the only reason that Eva was able to catch him off guard. He looked out his window. "Why weren't they here yet?" he wondered.

He looked at the home page of his phone where he had an app to keep him up-to-date on all of the local news. There was a new story.

"Missing Reporter Found in Car Accident."

He laughed. For a good five minutes, he laughed until his sides ached. To him, it was the funniest thing in the world. Eva Lewis had escaped him, only to get into a car accident.

He put his phone down and smiled, "This is going to be fun."

At His Home

Jacob woke up with a stuffed elephant in his arms. His head ached and his body was sore. Last night, he had entirely way too much to drink. He was about to shout for his mother...when it hit him.

She was gone.

He turned on his back and groaned. He didn't want to cry again but it felt like everyone had left him. The police were still working on the autopsy. He wasn't sure what to expect. He couldn't' imagine anyone trying to hurt his mother but the police insisted that it was a normal procedure to ensure that there was no foul play. He looked at the green elephant in his arms. It was a gift from Edward. The night prior he was feeling horrible. He was still pissed at Joelynn and he needed a shoulder to cry on. Edward was there for him. When Jacob had called Edward to tell him his mother had passed, his response was immediate, "I'll be right there."