Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Chalene Dornack was on a mission to find some jewelry that actress Lauren Bolgers would be happy with. Chalene thought helping out her aunt as an assistant to the wardrobe stylist would be great to put on her resume but so far her job had consisted of a series of chores given to her by Lauren, the actress playing news reporter Eva Lewis.

"Such a bitch," Chalene fumed as she thought of Lauren's latest request given to her the day prior.

"What are these? Pearls?" Lauren asked, a look of disdain on her face. "I don't do pearls."

Chalene, never being one to keep her mouth shut, fired back, "I'm not asking you to do them. I'm asking you to wear them."

"What did you say?" Lauren had scowled at Chalene, waiting for her an answer that could possibly get her fired from her job as a wardrobe assistant. Chalene didn't care so much about herself but her aunt had gone out on a limb to get her hired.

Chalene plastered a fake smile and shrugged, "Nothing."

"That's what I thought," Lauren scoffed.

Chalene was then ordered by Lauren to find something less matronly and more stylish to wear. Chalene wanted to argue that pearls were stylish. Just look at pictures of Jackie-O and Audrey Hepburn.

So here she was on a scavenger hunt, looking for unique jewelry pieces for Lauren to wear.

"Maybe I should just string some Fruit Loops together and tell her it's the latest fashion trend," Chalene muttered to herself.

She didn't want to drive to one of the major cities nearby, so she found herself visiting local pawn shops. As she was about to enter the last shop, she swiftly turned around. She could've sworn someone was behind her. In fact, it felt like someone had been following her all day. Chalene chalked it up to being paranoid that Lauren would find out she'd be wearing second-hand jewelry.

She walked into the pawn shop and was ignored by a male worker reading a Sports Illustrated magazine and wearing headphones with music playing too loudly. Chalene could practically hear the Black Sabbath from where she was standing.

"Hello," she called out. She walked to the counter and banged on the counter.

The guy continued to ignore her and Chalene rolled her eyes, "You've got to be kidding me." She snatched his magazine to get his attention.

"What gives lady?" he tried reaching for his magazine but Chalene shook her head.

"Lady? Who are you calling lady? I'm younger than you. Call me Miss."

He ignored her remark and removed his headphones, "It's rude to take a man's Sports Illustrated."

"It's rude to ignore a customer that just banged the counter in front of you," Chalene quipped.

He looked Chalene up and down and smirked, "You're feisty. I like that. There's a room in the back if you're interested."

"So not interested. I'm just looking for jewelry."

He winked at her, "I can show you a cock-ring if you-"

She cut him off, "You're disgusting. Unless you want to feel pepper spray in your eyes, I would just tell me where the jewelry pieces are at."

The guy rolled his eyes and tapped on the glass, "They're right here. Or are you blind as well as a prude?"

If it wasn't her last chance at finding jewelry for Lauren, she would have left as soon as she came inside the building. She scanned the glass and frowned, "Is this all you have?"