Chapter 1

****THIS STORY IS UNEDITED***

Chapter 1

The Texas heat was stifling, and on top of everything, else little black bloodsuckers were trying to gnaw at his flesh. Joshua Miller sat in his cheap motel room and groaned. He hated coming to this backwater town known as Ludwig. It was a far cry from the busy excitement that Austin offered. Joshua frowned. His agent didn't tell him Ludwig was a three hour drive from Austin.

"Trust me Josh. This role is exactly what you need right now," his agent had purred, "Something small but important. Something to get you back into the spotlight! Besides it's right outside of Austin and you know you love their barbecue."

Joshua didn't really like the idea of starring in a slasher movie...even if it was based on true events. He preferred playing in dramatic roles or as a heartthrob.

"Those days are long gone Josh," he could hear his agent reminding him, "You're too old to be playing the man in love. You need to branch out and try something different. Let viewers see you in a different light."

Josh looked in the full length mirror and scowled. Perhaps his agent was right. To describe himself, he could use the word lanky. His dark hair was thinning and in his white tank, he couldn't help but recognize that any muscle tone he used to possess had gone missing. He sighed as he walked back to the sofa where he laid his script down.

Raising the Demon King

It was a movie based on a book by Vincent McDaniels. Joshua remembered hearing about him years ago for novels that he had written in the past. He was surprised by all of the media attention Raising the Demon King was receiving. Joshua's part was small. He played the newspaper editor to a reporter that was the lead in the script.

The idea of playing a bit part galled him but Joshua understood that this role could potentially spear him back into the limelight. It had worked for John Travolta in Pulp Fiction why not for Joshua Miller too?

Joshua slapped his leg as another mosquito attempted to bite him, "Take that you little bloodsucker."

He was trying to study his few lines when a sudden banging from the room next door startled him.

"What the hell?" He stood up and walked over to the wall, "Hey! Keep it down in there!"

He walked back to the sofa when the pounding started up again, "Damned idiots."

Joshua began pounding on the wall, "I said keep it down in there!" The pounding stopped. Joshua waited. When no noise came from behind the wall he took a breath and sat back down. He picked up his script and was about to read his first line when the pounding returned. It was a rapid succession of heavy thuds as though someone was purposely kicking the wall.

He quickly got up and pounded on the wall again, "I'm going to call the manager you damned idiot!"

The pounding stopped but Joshua didn't. He yelled every profanity he knew and kicked the wall a few more times for good measure.

He was breathing heavily waiting for the person on the other side to reply.

Nothing.

"Jackasses," he cursed under his breath and sat back down.

A single knock was heard from the other side of the wall. A few moments later another single knock was made. Joshua was flabbergasted. He had to believe someone was playing a prank on him. He refused to hit the wall again and picked up the phone in the room. It rang for a short moment and a young woman's voice answered, "This is the front desk. How may I help you?"