𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

❛ YOU PROMISED

YOU PROMISED.
05. I See You
SEASON 01 EPISODE 05
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Still, the fear that had weighed on my heart so deeply was still there. It had never left, not even when I was safe and in the arms of the person I had trusted the most. It was nothing I could do to stop it, but that's the good thing; fear, I could use it to my advantage.

A groan left my lips, loud enough to get the groups attention, just the people around me. I had realized that I had only one battery left and there was nothing I could do to bury to excruciating sound of the kids speaking around me. I frowned when all their eyes followed me as I stood and walked from the tent without a word.

"Glenn!" I called, the entire group of adults turning to look at me— along with the man I was looking for. "Glenn, I need batteries."

Glenn held up a finger, motioning for me to give him just a moment. I huffed, crossing my arms and following him up the mountain, the same mountain where Jim was found digging multiple holes, with the rest of the group. I rolled up my sleeves when the head became too much, a bead of sweat slowly trickling down my forehead.

The headphones were still wrapped around my neck, still dead and unusable until two batteries were placed in the walkman. I was too focused on the music that wasn't playing that I completely ignored the scene happening in front of me— in front of all of us.

"We need time to mourn and we need time to bury our dead." Lori says, looking between the three men ahead. "It's what people do."

"It's dangerous here now." I spoke aloud, staring into the eye of the married man. "It's not safe here anymore. An entire horde of monsters just passed by and killed, like, half of us."

"Kenda—"

"Glenn I need batteries." I ignored the looks upon everyone's faces. "The cassette player died and I need batteries, please?"

"In my tent, just— I told you it was fine to check in there." Glenn sighs, shaking his head. I scoffed when noticing the pointed and disheartened looks on everyone's face.

Impassive and emotionally detached were a few words people would describe me as. It made people look at me differently, made them see me as someone who was heartless— which I was not. Emotions were hard for me, to understand and empathize with, I didn't understand them much. It wasn't something I had control over, I sometimes couldn't help the words that passed my lips.

Music created peace for me, relaxation, something I didn't get very often anymore. It was like I couldn't survive without the music, without the sound of something filling my silence. If there was nothing then I was left with my thoughts, the horrible and depressing thoughts that infiltrated my mind when I had the time and silence to think.