𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨

❛ YOU PROMISED

YOU PROMISED.
32. The Priest and The Church
SEASON 05 EPISODE 02
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

"Here." I murmur, holding a water bottle toward Carl; lugging his sister around in some carrier, he grew tired much quicker than everyone else. His sweating was so visible. "You're panting." I speak after he ignores me, gently bumping my shoulder into his.

"We just had a break." Carl scoffs making me frown at his tone, letting the bottle fall at my side. "Share it with Kareem." There was a hint of animosity in his voice when Carl said his name; it makes me pinch my eyebrows together in confusion.

"Yeah..." I breathe. "Whatever, asshole." I whisper under my breath, hoping he could hear me.

Before I could say anything more, a growl whistles through the air, making us stop to stare at the walker that approaches us. The adults hesitate, all silently wondering who would kill it. Saying an I got it, Michonne steps forward, reaching for her sword, just to remember it was gone— stolen. We see only that, continuing to follow Rick.

Multiple times I attempt to speak to him, I was ignored, eventually I had to realize he wanted nothing to do with me. Miles of us walking beside one another we don't say a word; we stare ahead at nothing, glares on our faces, acting as if we weren't, literally, standing right next to each other.

Before nightfall Rick finds us somewhere to settle; some opening in the forest close to the path we were walking along. It was good enough.

With my bag under my head and my eyes to the sky— laying side by side with Carl— I cross my arms and focus on the stars. The stars and trying to find constellations is our thing; even if he was upset with me for whatever reason, I will still stay at his side and look at the night sky. I didn't care for his attention, not at the moment, I only hoped he was doing the same thing as me.

The moon shifted hours later, and still I'm awake, watching the stars shimmer within the sky with the same admiring look since the beginning. Assuming Carl was awake, like me, I reach for his hand; before I had the chance to touch him, he reaches out to hold my hand. Relieved sighs huffed from our lips, our chests rising and falling, high and low, as our locked fingers tightened. I lay completely still, continuing to stare up at the sky.

"I'm still mad at you." He whispers, refraining to look over at me.

"I don't care." I respond with a whisper, grinning ear to ear as if he had given me the biggest compliment.

10 HOURS LATER

Rick leads us through the forest this time, abandoning the path we followed entirely. Almost ten minutes into walking we hear something and without hesitation, like it's second nature, we drop everything on our person and aim our guns at what/whoever was heading our way. It's only Daryl with dead squirrels in his hands; when noticing our guns pointing at him he, sarcastically, raises his hands in the air.