𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

❛ YOU PROMISED

YOU PROMISED.
16. It Was Shane
SEASON 02 EPISODE 12
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Randall; it was the name of the boy the group had shackled like some animal in the shed. I watched them, basically, throw him in there and slammed the door behind him.

I hadn't even known about him till the next day— they didn't even tell me, I found out because he was supposed to be set free and left in the middle of the road; free from our eyes and responsibility. Rick and Shane didn't set him free though, it seemed that they had a bit of difficulty leaving him by himself— not because they didn't want to— but because they ran into problems that were too difficult to solve.

I was to stay in a child's place and to never get near the shed. I was seriously tired of hearing the same phrase over and over again, it was like an echo in my head that made me angrier and angrier. I was sure if it was said again my fist would connect with someone's face.

The group saw him as a threat, they saw him as a liability. It was decided by Rick and the majority of the group that he was to be eliminated; meaning they were going to kill him. It was impossible, to the heartless part of the group, to keep him alive without some sort of consequence heading our way.

If he was so dangerous, if everyone was scared to be around him, why did my shorter freckled friend want to go into the shed and talk to him? Why did Carl want to force through every boundary and break into the shed just because he wanted to see him? And why did I go with him?

Randall didn't look dangerous.

Carl and I snuck into the shed, watching as he listened to the conversation outside of it, a conversation I didn't even want to hear. It made me uncomfortable and itchy and it made me feel worse when the boy looked up to us because we shifted and made a sound that was easy to hear. Randall's eyes widened and he stepped forward before realizing the chains around his wrists.

"Hey." He whispered to us but we didn't reply, just looking down at him and tilting our heads. "That's a sweet hat." He was talking to Carl and I almost spoke back but the boy had a firm grip on my inner elbow. "I'm Randall. What's your name? The sheriff guy— that's your dad? I like him... Yeah, he's a good guy. I can tell. Your mom out here too? What about yours?" Randall let his eyes slip my way, looking me up and down in a way that made goosebumps pop against my skin. "You're— you're lucky you still got your family. I lost mine.."

"Me too." I whispered, not loud enough for him to hear me though.

"Hey, I— I don't know what people been saying about me, but I didn't do nothing I swear." Carl pulled me up, letting me go down the ladder first as the boy spoke; talking our ears off. "Your dad was gonna let me go till his friend started fighting with him. It got pretty bad. I— I was kinda worried. My camp, we got lots of supplies. You help me, I'll take you and your folks back to my people. We'll take good care of you. Keep you safe. Just gotta— just gotta help me get out of here, okay?"