𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲

❛ YOU PROMISED

YOU PROMISED.
20. Circle of Life
SEASON 03 EPISODE 04
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Journal... my mom always told me about love, she always warned about it; she said it was dangerous but not in the way I was thinking. It never made sense to me, probably never will. But she never explained to me how to differ platonic and romantic love. Maybe you could feel both? Maybe it doesn't just have to be one type of love... but maybe there has to be, there has to be a line. Is love that feeling you get around a person that makes you feel like you can't breath? Is it the feelings of your heart flying out of your chest? Is it ridiculously searing cheeks? Or sweating palms? I could never love him... he's my best friend.

It was disgusting to watch and something about it made my stomach turn into knots until it locked and there was no way to loosen them. The sickening glances, the smiles; his crush on Beth made me sick— sicker than a walker.

Today was a good day, though. Hershel was up and walking on crutches, taking a light stroll through the outside of the cellblock, just like he wanted. It was the perfect day to do so; nice and sunny, the breeze wasn't too harsh... plus he had us right by his side. It was going well, smiles raising on our lips at his strength, cheers bustling through the prison.

"Ready to race, Hershel?" Carl asked him teasingly.

"Give me another day." He responds. "I'll take you on." Hershel joked back, causing a chuckle to leave Carls lips.

It was quiet for a moment, all of us just enjoying this peace... this moment of contentment. Then it died; this happiness died and the peace drowned in the noise of growls and fear.

"Walkers! Look out!"

I aimed my gun, just like I was taught, one eye squinting while the other focused. A deep breath, then pull. Headshot. It was working for a minute, taking them out and trying to keep them away from the weaker side of us. It was working until we realized we didn't have enough ammo to lose; we couldn't keep shooting at them; there were too many and they just kept coming.

"Lori! Here!" Maggie shouted and before I could pull the trigger again a hand touched my shoulder and lead me away. Lori... she led me away.

It was anything but safe inside the cellblock, if anything there were more walkers. As soon as we gave ourselves just a breath to calm down we were bombarded by another small horde of walkers heading toward us with hungry growls. It wasn't even safe enough in the halls, they haven't been fully cleared and one of the fences in the back of the prison was down— this was a problem.