𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐢𝐱

❛ YOU PROMISED

YOU PROMISED.
36. The Friend(s)
SEASON 05 EPISODE 11
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Nothing but static; a black and white ball circling around my mind. Memories from the night before runs rampant, forcing me to shut down completely. It's almost like I was drowning.

In the stable I sit silently, staring ahead at nothing with absolute concentration. But I wasn't alone; curling in my lap is Kip who growls softly as I scratch my nails deep in his fur. He's like an emotionally supportive pet; around him, I feel safe and calm.

"Hey.. Everyone." Maggie's voice is loud compared to the silence in the barn. Upon her entering, I can hear the mood change; even Kip perks up. "This is Aaron." Every gun is clicked, cocked back, and/or picked up.

Curiously, I push open the stable door just a crack. A random man stood beside Mags and behind Sasha.

"We met him outside. He's by himself. We took his weapons and we took his gear."

"Hi." Aaron says; his voice and presence causes Judith to cry. After prolonged eye contact, Rick hands his sobbing daughter off to his son. "It's nice to meet you." He tries to step forward to shake Rick's hand but when everyone around him moves he stops.

"You said he had a weapon?" Rick asks Maggie. She nods, pulling the gun out of her waistband and handing it over. After counting his rounds, Rick stops ignoring Aaron. "There something you need?"

"He has a camp nearby." Sasha, instead of Aaron, responds. "He wants us to audition for membership."

"I wish there was another word." Aaron says. "Audition makes it sound like we're some kind of dance troupe. Thats only on Friday nights." None of us laughed at his attempt of a joke; he shakes his head and clears his throat, awkwardly. "And it's not a camp. It's a, uh, community. I think you all would make valuable additions; but it's not my call. My job is to convince you all to follow me back home."

He could see that we're suspicious of him; anyone would be able to see.

"I know." He scoffs and shrugs. "If I were you, I wouldn't go either. Not until I knew exactly what I was getting into." A beat of silence fills the room before he looks over his shoulder. "Sasha, could you hand Rick my pack?"

Sasha looks at him, then around at the rest of us. She hesitates but she does approach Rick, sliding the bag off her shoulders and giving it to him.

"Front pocket, there's an envelope." Rick kneels to look in the bag. "There's no way I could convince you all to come with me just by talking about our community. That's why I brought those. I.. I apologize in advance for the picture quality. We just found an old camera store last—"