Final Wishes (Marlow x Hitch)

Takes place a few days after the Scouts returned from Shiganshina.

Hitch was tired. She had used up all her energy trying to hold herself together while the only surviving members of the Survey Corps received their honors from the Queen. Hitch had watched silently, wishing it had been Marlow kneeling before the Queen, and not Floch or even Eren. But she knew Eren was somehow humanity's key to freedom. They considered the mission in Shiganshina a success, but wouldn't yet disclose the information they had found.

It was hard for Hitch to see it as a success considering almost all of the scouts were killed in a suicide charge, included Erwin, the Commander. Although she did develop more respect for Erwin, leading the charge and sacrificing his own life in the process. She was proud of Marlow too, even though she had begged him to stay in the MPs, she was proud of sticking by his convictions. Despite what Floch had said, she trusted the Survey Corps and trusted that Marlow had died for the good of humanity. Still it didn't help relive the ache in her heart as the dead soldiers families had been posthumously awarded honors from the Queen at their funeral services. Hitch had gone back out to the cemetery that even and just sat by Marlow's grave, & cried. Something she didn't do in front of people.

As Hitch walked back to her residence, she thought about how empty it was now. She knew Annie was an enemy of the humanity, and she was shocked and devastated to learn that she was the female Titan, but they had been roommates, and friends, and she wished that Annie would be back in their room when she got there, just to have someone there with her.

Annie was in the process of unlocking her room when she heard Boris calling her name from down the hall.

"Hitch, glad I found you, um the Freudenberg family was here, gathering his things and they found this", he handed her a letter with her name on it.

"I told them I would give this to you", Boris said, "and Hitch....I'm...sorry about Marlow, he was a nice guy".

Hitch gave a nod in agreement and went into her room.

She placed the letter on her desk, not really sure if she was emotionally able to read it yet.

She took of her uniform, changing into some causal clothes, and didn't even remember falling asleep.

***a few hours later***

Hitch woke suddenly, she had been dreaming about Annie, Eren, Marlow, and a falling of rocks for someone reason.

She looked out the window & saw the last of the sun setting over the walls. She thought about catching a late dinner but she really wasn't hungry.

Hitch looked at her desk. The letter was sitting there.

Hitch took a deep breath, sat down but the window at her desk and opened the letter.

"It's funny" she thought to herself. "I sat at this same window waiting for Marlow to come home".

Her hands slightly shaking she unfolded the sheets of paper.

Dear Hitch,

I don't know quite where to begin. To be honest I hope you never have to read this, because that would mean I'm dead. One of the first things we have to do as new recruits in the Scouts is write a final will, and any final letters to family and friends. So if your reading this, then I became another causality of the war against the titans.

It's so weird writing a letter from beyond the grave. So I'm honestly not sure where to begin.

I guess first off, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I got killed. But I guess you were right as usual, you did say joining the Scouts would be the death of me. But I am sorry that I couldn't keep my promise. I'm sorry that I didn't come back alive, I do hope that they can bring my body home, if there is one left. I'm sorry for leaving you alone in this world. I know I promised you after Annie was gone that I wouldn't leave you, but I guess that's just another broken promise.