Feeling Like Elle Woods (Marlow x Hitch)

Hitch was nervous, but excited. She had received an email 2 days ago from her supervisor Mr. Dok at work, wanting to meet with her.

Hitch started working for Sina Pharmaceuticals for over 6 years ago. She started as an intern during the summer before her senior year of college, and came on as a junior accountant. Hitch wanted to prove herself. She was told in her interview that if she worked hard she would be promoted to an Account Manager position. Now she felt this was her time. Hitch had log many long hours and a lot of overtime to show she was dedicated. She was ready to lead her own team of junior accounts, and was excited for the pay raise.

Her and her boyfriend Marlow had been talking about marriage and buying a house. Despite Marlow's decent salary from his start up IT company, an extra pay bump would help them get a house faster.

Her coworkers were hyping her up.

"Don't forget about us lowly junior accountants when you get your promotion Hitch" Boris joked while they ate lunch in the break room.

"You'll get your own office right?" Mina asked taking a bite of her salad.

"Yep, own office, more responsibility, and better pay", Hitch said trying to come off as casual.

"This will definitely help towards you and Marlow getting a house" said Pieck. "Porco and I got lucky by getting a fixer-upper and having a lot of help from his family.

"Yeah buying a house is definitely stressful emotionally and financially" Hitch said.

"Well I'll be waiting on my invite to the house warming party" Boris said, getting up throwing his sandwich bag away.

*************************

Hitch hit the elevator button to take her from the 3 floor up to the 6th floor where the conference rooms were.

She had her legal pad and pen ready. She smoothed her gray pencil skirt, and popped a mint into her mouth, as the elevator moved upwards.

Hitch made her way to conference room 2, and saw in the window that Nile was already there, his supervisor Lynn, and someone who she wasn't expecting to be there.

"Why would Yelena from HR be here?" She thought. In previous experiences with other coworkers getting promoted HR usually was just CCed in the emails.

They seemed to be in a bit of a serious discussion.

Hitch knocked on the door, now a bit more nervous than she was excited. But Nile had been hinting at this for a few months.

"Come in Ms. Dreyse" Yelena said in a monotoned voice.

"Jeez were all HR people this icy?" Hitch wondered.

"Please take a seat Hitch" Nile said. She took a seat at the large oak conference table. For some reason she felt very small.

"So Hitch we want to start by saying we appreciate all of your hard work you have put in these past 6 years with Sina" Lynn said. "You colleagues and Nile here speak very highly of you"

Hitch relaxed a little. Maybe it's just new to have HR here.

"You keep your accounts on track, work well with the sales and marketing team, and clients speak very highly of your professionalism" Lynn continued. "We want to thank you for all of your hard work"

Hitch smiled, expecting her promotion to come next.

But it wasn't Lynn who spoke. It was HR.

"Which makes this so difficult for all off us" she said flatly, shuffling some papers.