Nanaba & the Very Bad, No Good, Bad Day

TW: Slight blood mention and medical procedure on an animal

If you were to ask Nanaba about her job, she would tell you she loved it. But with any "dream job" there are bad days that come with it.

Today was one of those bad days.

The cold gray day already started off terrible as she woke up late. She burned her had on her toaster, and spilt coffee on her pants trying to juggle her keys, bag, and thermos. The hot liquid caused her to yelp in pain. She watched with frustration as a squirrel made off with her toast.

Her husband was gone early that morning for his morning work out. While the skin under her scrub pants was definitely warm now, she still shivered against the cold as she got into her car.

Nanaba rested her head against the steering wheel as she waited for the frost on the windshield to melt away. She hoped her assistant made coffee at the clinic so she could stay awake and prevent a caffeine headache from coming on. She thought about stopping by Dunkin' but it would look too good coming in late with clear evidence of what made her late. Well, in her case more late.

The heater in the car slowly started to come life. With her windshield mostly clear, Nanaba pulled out of the drive way. Some days she envied Mike, as he got the flexibility of working from home.

If she had it her way today, she would has stayed in bed, letting the soft rain lull her back to sleep.

**********************************************
"Morning Doctor Nan!", Sasha said brightly.

Nanaba managed a wave, just wanting to get to her office.

As she logged onto her computer, there was a knock on her door.

"Come in"

Sasha entered her office with a thermos of coffee. "You look like you need this"

"Was it that obvious?" Nanaba asked with a small smile.

"Just a little bit"

Nanaba took a sip of coffee, "any last minute changes to today's schedule?"

"No, but the Wagners called."

"Again?"

"Daisy is getting restless, they say the cyst got bigger"

"Mr. Wagner has always been a bit...dramatic, especially when it comes to 'his gal'...is your dad this attached to y'all's animals?"

"Well, he was close with one of our llamas, when I was a kid, as we were getting the stables up and going. His name was Phil"

Nanaba laughed she always liked hearing about Sasha's family.

The bell rang as the delivery man came into the clinic, and Sasha went to sign for it.

*********************************************
After having a fight with the copier and losing, Nanaba and Sasha were on the road.

"So, first up is...Erwin."

"That the name of the animal or the owner"

"Owner, Erwin Smith. His horse, Lightfoot has a suspected hood abscess"

Before Nanaba could speak, their came a loud popping sound, the a smell of burnt rubber.

Nanaba pulled on to the shoulder of the road. She bang her head against the steering wheel of the van, groaning.

As Nanaba called Erwin explaining they were going to be late, Sasha was changing the tire. After getting off the phone, she got out to help Sasha.

They got back on the road about 45 minutes later. Sasha was scrolling through her iPad, looking at their schedule.