Enemies to Friends (Part 3)

Kaya almost got knocked in the head by a pass as she saw Gabi strut into the gym, ready to play basketball.

In her attempts to ignore Gabi, she had missed where Gabi talked non-stop about being excited for basketball season.

"Is nothing sacred anymore?" She thought to herself.

She caught Gabi's eye, and she looked annoyed that Kaya was there. Like somehow Kaya wasn't allowed to be there.

Coach Magath blew his whistle, "all right ladies, let's start warming up"

Kaya started jogging around the gym.

"Maybe she'll suck and get cut" she hoped.

****************************************************

Kaya's hopes were soon dashed. Coach Magath posted the list outside his classroom door.

While Kaya was thrilled to see her name on the list, her heart sank as she saw the name right below her's.

Gabi Braun

Later that night Kaya sat on Sasha's bed, hugging her potato pillow.

"It's just not fair. Why does she have to play basketball too, and be good at it?" she groaned.

"Well I to talked to Reiner, and he was suppose to talk to Gabi, is she still giving you sh*t?"

"Not vocally, but on Instagram, Snap Chat, dirty looks." Kaya said.

"Has she physically tried to hurt you?" Sasha asked braiding her hair.

Kaya shook her head. "But I'm worried that under the guise of 'basketball' she might".

Sasha sighed, she hated seeing her little sister so upset. She didn't want to see Kaya go through what she went through in middle school.

Kaya may not be blood related, but she was just as much her sister as if she had been.

"Sasha....you kinda know how to fight right? Like you and Dad use to kinda spar when you were younger"

"Yeah, he wanted me to be able defend myself, but it was mostly us rough housing" Sasha said.

Kaya bit her lip. "Can you teach me?"

***************************************************

The next few weeks went by with Kaya and Gabi exchanging dirty looks, and "accidentally" fouls at practice.

Kaya was growing agitated. November was always a hard month. It was the month her parents died.

Finally, Kaya snapped.

About midway through practice, the team was in the middle of a scrimmage. Kaya and Gabi on opposing teams. Gabi and Kaya we're constantly battling each other, as they went from offense to defense. After a few "fouls", Kaya was done. Gabi went for a layup and Kaya blocked the shot. Gabi got the rebound, and Kaya stood behind her, hands up to guard her.

While dribbling the ball, Gabi popped her elbow up into Kaya's jaw.

Kaya stumbled backwards as Gabi shot the ball and Coach Magath blew his whistle. But it was too late, Kaya was on Gabi and shoved her hard.

Gabi managed to stay on her feet, and came back swinging. She got Kaya in the shoulder.

"Remember keep your core tight and follow through" Sasha's voice rang in her ears.

Kaya did exactly that catching Gabi on the cheek.

Before Magath could get to the girls they were soon rolling around on the gym floor, smacking, trying to throw punches, and screaming insults at one another.