Time to Go

I was inspired by the fan art below to write this short.

Art by: https://instagram.com/queen.braus?utm_medium=copy_link

There was a lot of cheering going on, but Sasha could have sworn she heard something. Was it Lobov finally come aboard?

"Quite down, I think I hear something". Just as the words left her mouth, she heard a loud thud. She turned as fast as she could to see what it was and heard a crack of a rifle.

Sasha felt a burning hot pain in her chest, and suddenly lost all strength in her legs. For some reason it got really loud in side the air ship, Connie and Jean were leaning over her yelling. She muttered something about them being loud and wondering when it was time to eat, but she found it hard to think and get her words out.

"Meat"

Then things went black.

A few moments later Sasha was on her feet again. The pain in her chest was gone, but she still felt weak. As she looked down at her feet she notice she looked odd, but shook it off as the lighting in the airship.

She let out a sigh of relief, for a moment there she thought she had been shot, but I guess she was just hit by a rubber bullet or it grazed her.

But something still didn't feel right. Why was everyone upset. Whose wound was Jean screaming about, she looked and they were still bent over someone.

Sasha sprang into action, so someone was hurt. She rushed to where Jean and Connie were kneeling. "Guys move I have first aid training, where is Louise with the medical kit".

But it seemed liked Jean and Connie were ignoring her.

"Connie I said move!!!" As Sasha reached for his shoulder. But instead of spinning Connie around and out of the way, her hand went through it.

"Wha-what?!?!" She yelled aloud to no one. She tried again, and again and each time she tried to touch Jean or Connie she would just go through them.

Then she heard Connie, "Sasha please just hang on until we get to the island".

"But Connie I'm fine!!!"

She heard a commotion at the front of the airship compartment.

She looked to see the rest of the scouts attacking...two children.

Sasha rushed to the crowd, trying to move people as the beat the two kids senseless.

"Stop it! Please stop it!! They are just kids!!! They didn't mean it!! You're hurting them!!!" She screamed, but it feel on deaf ears. She looked to the side of the crowd and saw a rifle, and thought one of those kids must have shot that solider. But it had to have been an accident right? It was just a boy and girl, no older than her own sister back home.

Sasha was drawn back to the scene behind her, by Connie's anguished voice, "Sasha please don't leave me here!!!"

"But Connie...I'm fin-"

Louise was able to move Connie out of the way.

Then Sasha's eyes meet the dying eyes on the person on the floor.

Sasha stumbled back in shock and horror. She was looking at herself, with a bullet wound, with her blood pooling at an alarming rate around her.

"No no no this can't be real, I'm not dying" Sasha cried out. She looked at Connie, "we had plans for after the war, a home in the woods..." she yelled hoping somehow Connie would hear her.

She thought of her family, and Kaya. The tears were starting to flow, "I can't leave Kaya behind" she thought. She thought of the good food Mr. Niccolo cooked, and how she was suppose to have a nice meal when she got back. She couldn't die yet, not after how far she had come.

Sasha watched standing over Connie, just wanting to wrap her arms around him as he silently watched Louise and the other medic try to bandage the gun shot wound, but it had gone straight through her. Sasha was a hunter at heart and she knew that there was probably no way at stopping the blood loss, not with an exit wound.

She the heard Floch's voice. "Should we just toss them out of the airship?".

"No!!!" Sasha stood in between the open doorway and the kids. "They are just kids Floch! We don't kill kids, Jean!!! do something!!!"

It seemed as if somehow Jean heard her. "What good will killing to kids do"

The girl started screaming about "devils and Zekes will". Sasha saw the fire in her eyes, kind of like the fire in Eren's eyes.

"Maybe she's the one who shot me?" She asked allowed. It then clicked, it was the girl she had saved from the 2 Marley gate guards. So why would she shoot her?

"I was trying to save you!" She shouted at the girl as Jean to her and the boy away.

Sasha ran back to her body, she noticed as her body got paler and the life slowly faded in her eyes, the body she was in watching the all of this was getting a bit more solid.

Sasha started crying harder calling out to Connie, telling him she was so sorry. "I let met guard down, I don't want to leave you, I love you!"

She tried to jump into her body but she just kept going through it, almost like she was punishing herself for being so careless.

Sasha finally collapsed to the ground, sobbing, just as Armin and Mikasa rushed into the room.

"Connie is she still alive?!?"

Connie just stared at Sasha.

"Mikasa, Armin I'm here, please I don't want to go, I'm sorry, I know we promised to see this to the end!!" She cried out.

"Sasha, wake up please!!!", Mikasa shook her body and screamed with tears coming down her face.

Sasha put her hand on her shoulder and again it went through.

She heard Armin's anguished cries as Louise told him that "she was gone".

Connie just stared.

Sasha on her knees continued to sob.

She then felt a warm hand on her shoulder, "Sasha", said a familiar voice from her youth.

She looked up and saw Marco, he was standing with Mina.

"M-m-arco, Mi-mi-na I don't understand", Sasha said through her tears.

"I'll go tell the others about Sasha", Connie said quietly, letting his hand fall from her lifeless face, and closing her eyes.

"I'm so sorry Sasha", Mina said, as she helped Sasha to her feet.

Connie got up and headed towards the door.

"Connie, Connie wait please!!!!!", Sasha tried to go after him.

Marco grabbed her wrist. "Sasha, I'm so sorry but it's time to go". Marco voice was sad and heavy.

"But...I can't leave them behind".

"I know, but I had to leave Jean and you all behind, it's not really up to us if we are ready or not", Marco said gently.

Sasha notice the the airship was slowly giving way, she watched as Mikasa, Armin, her body, and the dull glow of the airship was being replaced by a warm and bright meadow.

"So I'm really dead now", Sasha said hoarsely. "Where do I go from here?"

Marco looked at her with a warm smile, "it's time to go home, everyone is waiting"

The 3 of them began to walk across the grass to a worn path, as Sasha looked back one more time, but there was nothing there but an endless sea of grass.

"Don't worry you'll be able to watch over them, just as we have been watching over you", said Mina

"Oh by the way", Marco said. "I know you tastes have expanded over the past few years but here"

He reached into his bag he had and pulled out a steamed potato.

"Welcome home potato girl"

End