The First One (Reiner x Bertholdt)

Bertholdt carried the last of the boxes into the freshly painted bedroom.

Sky blue, she wasn't really into pink or purple, nor the yellow Bertholdt had suggested.

"That the last of it?"

Bertholdt turned and looked at Reiner.

"He's lost weight" Bertholdt noticed.

The last month had be incredibly hard on him. Their lives had all changed so drastically.

One day Reiner and Bertholdt were talking about marriage and their future.

The next they were sitting at a grave side service as Karina's casket was lowered into the ground.

Bertholdt will never forget opening the door, standing there was Reiner's grandmother with a tearful Gabi.

They hit a patch of black ice, swerving into a tree.

Karina and Dave had died at the scene, Angie Braun at the hospital a few hours later.

"You think she's gonna like it?" Reiner asked.

Bertholdt let out of sigh, "I hope so, but it will probably take her some time to adjust"

Reiner sat on the bed looking at his watch.
"Gabi should be here soon, grandmom Marie I'm said she would be her around 6"

"What time is it now?"

"5:30"

Reiner laid back on the bed, wondering what he had got Bertholdt and himself into. Reiner had become his 12 year old cousin's legal guardian. One was he knew he grandmother just wasn't up to the task, and he also wanted to allow Gabi to stay at her school.

Reiner felt the bed move. Bertholdt laid down beside him, and pulled him close.

"You ok?"

"Yeah, just hard to believe this is real, first Christmas without my mom and my uncle and aunt."

Bertholdt gently stroked Reiner's hair. "We'll get through it. Just remember, you are allowed to feel sad and angry, and I'm here for you and Gabi"

The two stayed like that until they heard the doorbell ring.

***********************************************
"JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!" Gabi shouted as she slammed her bedroom door shut.

She really wasn't sure what had started the fight between Reiner and her, but she didn't care.

She laid on her bed fuming. Deep down she knew she wasn't angry at Reiner, but at life itself. Christmas was coming up soon and she was jealous of all her friends.

Her stomach her and so did her back.

"They all get to have their parents. Why are mine gone" she whispered through tears.

Gabi gripped her stuffed hippo and ended up dozing off.

******************************************
Reiner was going through the pantry trying to figure out what to make for dinner tonight. Something Gabi would like.

The argument had been petty, he knew that. But it had escalated and had gone from 0-60 quick.

It had been 2 weeks since Gabi had moved in, and with school being out they both were spending a lot more time under the same roof.

It would be another few hours before Bertholdt would be home, but he figured he might as well plan our dinner now incase he needed to tell Bertholdt to go to the store.