16

Death was already annoyed with this meeting and it hadn't even started yet. He knew what was coming. The leader of the section of his realm occupied by demons had always had an interest in aligning herself with him for power. He had no doubt that she was here for that reason, especially since she called for this so soon after Astryn's visit.

He lounged on his throne, feigning boredom to mask his annoyance. The Keeper of Demons strolled in, hips swaying and long, red hair hanging down her back. Her eyes were molten gold, pretty but something unsettling in them. She gave a bow, though barely.

"I heard your little Fae pet visited," Selene remarked, lips tugged up into a barely there smirk.

"You will show my friend the respect owed to her or you will be stripped of your title," Death spoke calmly, his mask of boredom remaining in place, "and mind the way you speak to me, demon. You may rank high among your people but I am still the King you answer to."

Her eyes flashed with annoyance before she covered that up and gave a pretty smile.

"Apologies, your Majesty," she purred, "I forget the formalities sometimes, considering our...history."

"I've never known a demon to take sex so personally," he replies dryly, "but I will make it entirely clear to you so you don't forget again. I am your King. You will show me and my friends respect, or you will lose your title and your authority. You hold sway with your people by my good graces. I would advise you to remember that."

"Of course," she said with a respectful dip of her head.

"Let's get to the point then, shall we? What's the purpose of this meeting?" he questioned, waving his hand for her to speak.

"My demons are getting antsy," she began, words chosen carefully, "they were preparing to welcome in a new Queen and then you went and disposed of the crown and throne you built for her. Has she officially rejected you?"

"First of all," he said, holding his hand up and snapping his fingers. A sharp gasp escaped her and she fell to her knees as she felt her power rush out of her. He rose from the throne and strolled over to her, crown shining on his head. "They are not your demons, Selene. They are mine. They will never be yours. You are not their Queen, and you never will be. Second, I highly suggest you remember what your place in this realm is. I will admit it is my fault for ever allowing you to forget it, so let me make sure this sticks, this realm is mine. The demons and every other creature here are mine. You have no authority to question me on who, if anyone, I decide to make Queen. Whoever it is, will not be you."

"My King," she spoke pleadingly, the words hardly more than a gasp. Her insides felt hollow with her power gone.

"You may have a bad memory, but I do not," he told her, voice low and furious, "I have not forgotten the way you wormed your way into my bed after my last Queen betrayed me. I have not forgotten the way you used my pain to your own advantage. You're lucky I did not take your standing away then."

Death let her power flow back into her so forcefully it knocked her over.

"Do not test me again, Selene," he warned, "next time, I will not give your power back, and I will let you wither and rot until the existence I allowed you finally gives out."

She didn't get up yet, watching him with fear, as if she didn't believe he was truly going to let her walk away from this.

"You may rise," he said, lips twitching upwards in amusement, "go back to your domain. I'll be paying a visit tomorrow and picking a demon to come work in my palace. I've grown tired of dealing with meetings like this."

Selene scrambled to her feet, lacking the usual grace she moved with. She gave a hasty bow, muttered, "thank you, your Majesty," and then hurried out.

Death strolled idly back to his throne and sat, waiting for the next person who had requested an audience with him to be sent in.

It was all routine, nothing that he saw any reason to come to him with. He knew that, for the most part, people coming to him with these little concerns were just because they wanted to see him up close. It had been a long time since he had traveled to the domains in his realm, so this was the only way any of his subjects saw him in person. And if he got a demon assistant, he would cut that access off too.

He'd probably have to take a trip around the realm soon, make sure no one else had any ideas about making power grabs like Selene had been thinking. He could have his assistant arrange the trip, it worked out perfectly. Now the only concern was finding a demon who could manage some busywork. Demons got bored easily, it was in their nature. The various levels of the creature thrived on different things, but mischief was the one thing they all had in common. Some leaned to outright chaos, and other simple pranks, but either way it could get out of hand quickly if they didn't have some entertainment.

His biggest concern with the demons was Selene's influence over them. He had to check in more often, regulate her rule. She likes to pretend it was her own kingdom and not just a section of his. He didn't doubt he would have to get rid of her one day, but it wasn't something he looked forward to. He hated her, hated the way she had taken advantage of his pain to try to rise through the ranks, but he didn't take any joy in ending anyone in his realm.

Shaking those thoughts away, he left the throne room and went to take a look at last reports from the demon's domain to see if anyone in particular stood out.

This was going to be a very long night.