Stitches

Y/N's POV
Today I was home spending the day with Harry's 3 year old daughter, Jillian, my stepdaughter while he went to work. Jilly and I were walking down the staircase. She was trying to jump down each step. "Watch this mumma!" She said. "Please be careful baby. I don't want you to fall.." I told her. She jumped one last time before she fell forward. I went to catch her but she was already too far ahead of me as she rolled down the stairs and fell to the the landing followed by a giant wail. "Oh my god Jillian!" She began to sob. I ran down the landing as I saw the cut on her temple. "Crap!" I grabbed her and rushed to the kitchen to grab at towel to hold on her cut. I then grabbed my keys and carried her out to the car rushing to the hospital.

Harry's POV
I was finishing up with a patient when I got a paged 911 to the ER call. I quickly made my way down to the ER.  I saw Y/N standing with Jillian holding a gauze patch to her head. "Oh my god!" I rushed over. "Oh peanut.." She sat in the bed with her tear stained cheeks as well as blood slightly dripped down the side of her face. I turned to face Y/N. "What the heck happened?" I asked. "I'm so sorry Harry, we were walking down the stairs and she was jumping the steps and slipped. I tried to catch her but I was too late." She explained, I could see the panic in her eyes. I sighed before turning back to Jillian as our head of pediatrics approached the bed, Dr. Holly Knox. "What do we have here? Little Miss Jilly Bean. So we fell down the stairs huh?" She asked. "Let's take a look at that cut shall we?" She spoke as Y/N removed the gauze from Jillian's temple revealing the nasty cut. "Well, it looks like. She'll need a few stitches but should only take a minute. Jenna could we get a suture kit in here please?" She asked the nurse.

Jenna came back with the suture kit before Dr. Knox laid Jillian's bed back. "Alright Miss Jillian, you're gonna feel a few little pinches but it'll over before you know it. Okay?" She told her. "Hold my hand baby, you can squeeze it as hard as you can." I told her. I looked up at Knox to let her know he could get started. Jillian began to scream in pain as she cried. It broke my heart. "It's okay peanut." I hushed. "Daddy!" She cried. "I know baby, you're almost done. You're doing so well." She continued to wail before I came up with the idea to sing her favorite song.

"One, two, three, four
Monsters walking 'cross the floor
I love counting
Counting to the number four

Oh you're counting
Counting with me
To one less than five
And one more than three.

Oh, we're counting to four
Oh, let's count some more

One, two, three, four
Penguins that went by the door
I love counting
Counting to the number four

I see four here
I see four there
My favorite number
Nothing can compare

Oh, we're counting to four
Oh, let's count some more

One, two, three, four
Chickens just back from the shore
I love counting
Counting to the number four

Oh, we're counting to four
Oh, let's count some more

One, two, three, four
Chickens just back from the shore
One, two, three, four
Penguins that went by the door
One, two, three, four
Monsters walking 'cross the floor

Counting to four
Oh, let's count some more"

I finished singing. "And we're all done, I will bring you a sticker and a lolly to pick out. Alright kiddo? You did great." She said softly patting Jillian's leg. "Thank you Holly." I said, she nodded before walking away. Jillian's cries calmed down.

Jillian picked out a princess sticker and a green lolly. "Good job baby, I'm proud of you." I said gently kissing her forehead. I turned back to see Y/N standing in the corner quietly anxious. "It's okay babe, Jilly tell mumma you're okay." I said. "I'm all better mumma look!" Jillian said showing Y/N her lolly. "See love, she's okay." I grabbed her hand pulling her closer to the bed before turning to face Jillian. "So, no more jumping on the stairs, okay?" I asked. "I'm sorry." She said. "It's okay peanut." I replied.

I luckily wasn't on-call tonight so I head home following behind Y/N and Jillian. Jillian fell asleep on the way home, I grabbed her from her carseat in Y/N's car before bringing her into the house putting her down for bed.

I quietly closed Jillian's bedroom door before heading downstairs to the kitchen where Y/N was sitting, she looked overwhelmed. "Are you okay love?" I asked. "Harry, I'm so sorry. I understand if you hate me. I shouldn't have let her continue to jump. I'm a horrible parent! How could you not hate me! I maimed your baby!" "She's our baby and she's gonna be okay. What happened to today doesn't make you a bad mother Y/N. It was an honest mistake sweetheart, please don't beat yourself up over it. These things, unfortunately, happen even if we don't want them to or think they will. But we can just be grateful that there wasn't any serious damage, okay. So let's just be happy that she's okay. Alright?" He said, I nodded. "C'mere darling." He says pulling you in for a hug.