Senior Solo

Imagine yours and Harry's daughter, Lorelei—Rory was waiting backstage at her high school's theatre for her cue to go on to sing her senior solo. It was a very special night because her family was there. You, Harry, Gemma, Rory's two older brothers and older sister, and your parents as well as Harry's parents. It was going to be the first time anyone had ever really heard her sing. She was pretty nervous thinking she was going to choke. But then she took a deep breath to calm down her nerves, exactly how her father taught her when she was getting ready to do something big. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you our final senior soloist of the night. Please help me give an amazingly warm welcome to Miss Lorelei Styles singing She Used To Be Mine." The choral program's MC announced. The audience clapped as you and Harry in your section cheered. Rory took one last deep breath before she walked out on stage in the dress she wore to prom.

She took center stage as she stood in front of the microphone. She looked down at the choir director as she nodded and smiled lightly letting him know she was ready and the pianist in the pit began to play the beginning chords. Harry grabbed your hand as Rory began to sing.

"It's not simple to say
That most days I don't recognize me
That these shoes and this apron
That place and its patrons
Have taken more than I gave them

It's not easy to know
I'm not anything like I used be, although it's true
I was never attention's sweet center
I still remember that girl

She's imperfect, but she tries
She is good, but she lies
She is hard on herself
She is broken and won't ask for help
She is messy, but she's kind
She is lonely most of the time
She is all of this mixed up and baked in a beautiful pie
She is gone, but she used to be mine

It's not what I asked for
If I'm honest, I know I would give it all back
For a chance to start over and rewrite an ending or two
For the girl that I knew
Who'll be scared of the light that's inside her

Growing stronger each day
'Til it finally reminds her
To fight just a little
To bring back the fire in her eyes
She is gone but she used to be mine.
Used to be mine." Rory belted it blew you both away. Harry had grown tears in his eyes. Everyone in the audience were clapping before it died down as she finished the final lyric. "She is gone, but she used to be mine.."

She finished as everyone rose to their feet applauding in a standing ovation. You look over at Harry who's smiling, applauding proudly for his little girl. "Yea, baby!" He cheered before whistling loudly. You were both proud parents to a girl who could follow in her father's footsteps into a singing career. Rory then stepped away from the mic and took a bow before she walked off stage.

After the show, you were all waiting for Rory out in the lobby of the Performing Arts Theatre. She passed through the crowd, past many parents and fellow classmates from school, who congratulated her and giving her praise before she finally found you and the rest of the family. "There she is, our shining star!" Anne spoke as she pulled Rory into a hug. "You were amazing kiddo." Desmond said. "We're so proud of you, sweetheart." You told her kissing her cheek. "There's my little girl!" He picked her up and kissed her cheek. "I'm so proud of you, love bug!" Harry set her down before handing her the giant bouquet of flowers he bought for her, she smiled. "Thank you, dad!" She said.