Five: The World Has Turned and Left Me Here.

A few nights later, Damon was lying in bed when he woke up to the vibration of his phone...

Damon: "Hello?"

Tripp: "Hi. Tripp Cook. I just wanna thank you for turning over that vampire Enzo to me. He's been very helpful."

Damon: "Enzo? I thought, um... I thought you were supposed to kill him."

Tripp: "Oh, I will, eventually. Once I know everything he does."

Damon: "What has he told you?"

Tripp: "Sounds like the vampire problem in Mystic Falls isn't as bad as I thought. If he had any names, he'd give them up. I've done plenty of things to get him to talk."

Damon: "That's, um, good to hear."

Tripp: "Seems like it's moved on to Savannah. I've sent some of my guys down there. They're gonna check it out, see what they can find."

Damon: "Thanks for the heads-up."

Tripp: "Founding families. Gotta stick together, right?"

Damon: "Absolutely."

Damon hung up and heard a banging sound coming from downstairs.

"Elena?" He asked, walking downstairs.

She was sitting on the couch eating popcorn and watching a movie.

"Listen, we have to get out of Savannah." He said.

"Why?"

"Just because some people are coming to Savannah." He says.

Later, Caroline opened the door, seeing Damon

"Damon? What are you-?" Caroline asked.

"I need a favour." Damon said, walking in with Elena.

"Elena, hi." Caroline said, frowning.

"Hi." Elena said, standing there awkwardly.

"There are vampire hunters lurking around Savannah. Which is why we're here. Tripp Cook has somehow decided to become the eastern seaboard's self-proclaimed vampire hunter. None of us are safe, which is why Elena can't be with me right now." Damon says.

"Okay." Caroline said.

Damon smiled, kissing Elena, and left the dorm.

Later, Ellie was in class and Ric was stood at the front of the class...

"Homecoming. By a show of hands... who knows the supernatural origin of tonight's homecoming party?"

The class chuckled and Ellie used her fingers to wave.

"A Civil War soldier, Nathan Whitmore... horribly disfigured throughout countless battles. Somehow survived them all just so he could get home... to the woman he loved. When he finally got home to his farm, he found her in bed with his brother. He did what any sane man would do. He murdered his brother in cold blood... and then chased the love of his life into the cornfields."