Twenty Eight

"Kanda Taichi in Morioka, in June

"Kanda Taichi in Morioka, in June. Shimada Osamu in Yokohama, in August. Yamato Hiroshi in Nagoya, in September. These three died under similar circumstances. Stabbed to death by a cursed spirit at the entrance to their apartments. All of them also happened to complain about the same thing to management recently. They said their automatic doors were left unlocked. None of the other residents noticed it, though"

Akari; an assistant supervisor for Jujutsu Tech, informed while driving a car full of the four first-years to their destination.

Nobara, Megumi, and Yuji occupying the three seats in the back, with Y/N riding up front in the passenger side.

"But the dates and locations are all different. Did they really get killed by the same cursed spirit?" Y/N furrowed her eyebrows as the information wasn't making any sort of sense to her.

"So, how exactly is the door issue related to the curse? Do they even get picked up by sensors? Since they don't show up on cameras and stuff."

Yuji spoke up. questioning Akari who occasionally glanced from the road and into the rear view mirror to meet Yuji's eyes.

"It's not the sensors. The curse must've influenced the door's operator and made it go haywire."

"Right... Operators?"

"Whether or not the same curse was behind this couldn't be confirmed from the residuals. A lot of time had passed, after all. So, we tried to track down any connection between the three. We learned that they all went to the same middle school for two years."

Nobara placed her chin in between her forefinger and thumb in thought.

"Meaning all three of them got the same curse, and it activated after all this time?"

Yuji sprung forward in his seat making a noise of astonishment as he gawked at the ginger-haired girl who sat on the other side of Megumi, while the weight of her theory started to sink in.

"Precisely. That's highly likely. That's why we're on our way to talk to a classmate who knew all three. I'd like you four to observe as sorcerers"

"Way to go, Kugisaki!" Yuji boasted in awe with dot eyes, invading Megumi's personal space as he nearly leaned over the black-haired teen's lap in the process.

Nobara brushed her hair out of her face, humming at the praise from the salmon-haired male with a smug victorious grin.

"Piece of cake!"

Megumi threw his head onto the back of his seat, eyes squinted tightly shut as he huffed quietly.

"Y/N, next time you are sitting in between them."

"Heh ~ But you look oh so comfortable back there Gumi, I'd hate to spoil that for you. That wouldn't be very considerate of me, now would it?" Y/N teased in a sing-song voice, glancing into the rear view mirror the red-haired girl chuckled amusingly at the dirty look Megumi shot her.