VI

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗 | Regrets

{ Malkym }

✧✦✧

𝕽haenyra had been avoiding him and Malkym was now fed up with it.

He knew that he had scorned her when turning her down, but he had hoped that she would see that what he was doing was trying to help both of them, trying to prevent either of them from being harmed. Malkym wished to marry her, more than anything, because she was one of his closest friends, but he knew that he was a common lord, not a highborn one.

"Princess." Malkym glared at the bard who sat under the giant Weirwood tree, strumming slowly. The bard turned to run away as Rhaenyra hissed a command.

"Stay."

"Go." Malkym reiterated, grabbing onto his sword and narrowing his eyes as the bard seemed to decide that Malkym and his blade was more intimidating that the teenage princess at that time. He turned, catching Rhaenyra's eyes as she watched him. "Are we able to talk, Princess, or are you going to ignore me still?"

"You dare speak to the princess as if she were a child?" 

"When she acts like a child, yes. Can we be mature and have a conversation about this?" Malkym cocked an eyebrow.

"That is treason. To speak to me so."

"No it is not. I am still addressing you by your titles and I bowed when I came in, though you were determined to ignore me." Malkym finally sat beside her, a respectable distance between them. "You cannot have me killed for that."

"Syrax will enjoy burning you."

"I still have your favour." Malkym watched Rhaenyra's expression change, watching as the princess snapped her book shut to glare at him. "Yes?"

"What do you want? Apart from to annoy me."

"As I said before, to speak like adults." Malkym sighed. "We can manage that, can we not?"

"No."

"This is a good start." Rhaenyra began to stand, moving to walk away as Malkym reached out to catch her hand. The pair both froze at the feeling, staring at their interlinked hands before Rhaenyra's violet eyes slid to look at Malkym. "Princess, please. Let us talk."

Reluctantly, Rhaenyra sank back down, pulling her hands from Malkym's grip as the pair fell into silence.

"What is there to talk about? You made your thoughts known."

"Because I do not want to lose you either." Malkym tilted his head, trying to catch her eyes as she stared at the ground, pulling tufts of grass loose. "I wish I was able to marry you, more than anything, but I know that you have to marry for power and status, not because you do not wish to lose me. I cannot provide either of those things."