XI

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 | Uncles

{ Malkym }

✧✦✧

"𝖂hat has happened?" Malkym questioned, having met up with Rhaenyra before they could travel to the Godswood to speak with the rest of her family. She hummed, her eyes unfocused as she made to walk past him, but Malkym merely reached for her hand, tugging her back until she stood in between his legs. He looked up at her, taking in her pout, her teeth that worried her lips and the frizz of her hair that was coming undone from it's usual plaits. "Rhaenyra, can I ask? What has happened between you and your uncle?"

"Why do you assume something has happened?"

Malkym cocked an eyebrow, before looking down at his fingers, where she was fiddling with the lily that she'd had pressed, like she was trying to think of what her mother might say to her and what she would do.

"Rhaenyra, please?"

"Before I walked into you, most people thought that I would be married to my uncle." Rhaenyra replied, sighing. "He was the heir and I was my father's eldest daughter, so it made sense to solidify the family line and have true, Targaryen children."

Malkym fought pulling a disgusted face. He could not imagine marrying his own family member. Even the thought made him shudder, not just for the fact that they were related but that Daemon wished to marry Rhaenyra when she was only ten and four, and him an adult grown with a wife. His hand tightened on Rhaenyra's as if reassuring himself that it hadn't been the case.

"I am not sure if Daemon even knows that you and I are betrothed. I suppose that is something else I shall have to break to him." Rhaenyra looked at him, noticing the tenseness in his features, and how his grip had tightened. "I did want to marry Daemon once upon a time, when I was a child."

"Do you still?"

"I was ten and four when I had that idea. I am now ten and seven and have you." Rhaenyra looked around, before pressing a swift kiss to Malkym's cheek. It was unseemly for them to be seen touching each other, even if innocently, before they were married. "I just worry that Daemon will mess all of this up. That he will ask my father to betroth us once more. That my father might agree."

"I see." Malkym stood, before leaning down to press a kiss to her forehead, carefully smoothing her hair back from her head and tucking it back into her plaits with gentle ease that only came from time together. "You look beautiful."

"You flatter me." Rhaenyra huffed, in a disbelieving manner.

"I tell the truth." Malkym held his arm out for her. "To the Godswood?"