XXV

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 | Burials

{ Rhaenyra }

✧✦✧

𝕿he tension in her husband's shoulders was putting their entire family on edge. Malkym's face was dark, staring down at the floor intently as Luke leant into his legs, and Jace stood beside him. All three were dressed in the same dark tunics and trousers, their brown hair a mess due to the constant pull of the wind.

Rhaenyra's arm remained hooked through her husband's, attempting to soothe him. She knew that the man did not wish to be there, that he would much rather be back at Alterwoode with his brothers and their youngest, but Rhaenyra had to be there. She had not been with her cousin when Laena died, so she had to be there whilst her cousin was buried otherwise she would have failed her.

"We join today at the Seat of the Sea." Rhaenyra's grip on Malkym's hand tightened, listening to the High Valyrian words of the traditional sea burial. "To commit the Lady Laena of House Velaryon to the eternal waters, the dominion of the Merling King where He will guard her for all the days to come. As she sets to sea for her final voyage, the Lady Laena leaves two true-born daughters on the shore."

Laena's daughters were crying still, and Rhaenyra drew closer to her family. She could not think of this happening to her sons, having to watch one of their parents be buried so young. It reminded her of her own mother's funeral, when she was but ten and four, and the lily brooch on her dress burned in response.

"Though their mother will not return from her voyage, they will all remain bound together in blood. Salt courses through Velaryon blood, ours runs thick. Ours runs true." Rhaenyra noticed how Malkym pulled the boys closer, as if trying to protect them from listening to this, though Rhaenyra knew that he did not understand what was being said. His High Valyrian was still a work in progress. "And ours must never thin."

The ropes tightened on the stone coffin, as Daemon began to chuckle. Whilst Rhaenyra knew that this was his wife that they were burying, some part of her had hoped and prayed that he would not be there. 

"My gentle niece. May the winds be as strong as your back, your seas as calm as your spirit and your nets be as full as your heart." Aegon pulled a face, earning him a sharp glare from Rhaenyra and Malkym, who shook their heads. This was his aunt's funeral, yet he was trying not to laugh? It was disgraceful, not to mention dishonourable and yet his parents refused to discipline him. "From the sea we came. To the sea we shall return."

With that, Laena's coffin was sent into the ocean, sinking swiftly to rest with her ancestors. Rhaenyra took a deep breath, allowing the sorrows to course through her for a moment, before she bent to press a kiss to both of her sons heads, and then to her husband's cheek. Malkym's hand hovered by her waist as he leant his forehead against hers, both of them taking a moment.