X

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐄𝐍 | Appeasement

{ Malkym }

✧✦✧

𝕿he one and only thing that Malkym found most amusing about the Small Council was their desire to at least have Rhaenyra look at the other lords, so that none felt scorned about a decision that had been made years previously. So, Malkym had been forced to plead his case, despite the decision already having been made that he was to marry the Princess.

In the effort of fairness were Otto Hightower's exact words.

Rhaenyra had scoffed, but Malkym had thought it was most amusing and decided to take it seriously. Finally, he had his chance to propose to the Princess after she had done so twice already, and he would not let his proposal go to shame. It had to live up to expectations.

"Next!" The boy in front of Malkym was barely ten and two years old and Malkym had found it somewhat sweet that he thought he had a chance. The boy was barely a child, not yet man enough to even grow a beard. It was a little amusing if he was being honest.

In fact, he found all of this incredibly amusing.

Rhaenyra did not look impressed, her eyes wide and the start of a disbelieving smile on her face.

"And now a child." Her advisor next to her started to speak in her ear, advising her of the best course of action until Rhaenyra relented.

"Go on!"

"My princess, ours is a bond that has long endured, since Lucas Blackwood, the grandsire of my grandsire, aided the Dragon in his war of conquest."

"Aye," He was cut off by someone from the crowd, who was trying to rile everyone to laugh at the smaller boy. "The Blackwoods truly turned the tide on that one."

Chuckled started up as Lord Blackwood took a deep breath and continued.

"Coursed with the blood of the First Men, our history is deeply routed in this land, which your house has made its home." Malkym looked up, over the boy's head to raise an eyebrow at Rhaenyra, who had a similar expression on her face. "If chosen as your match, princess, your days shall be easy and nights safe under my protection."

Lord Blackwood reminded Malkym of his own brothers, and he fought the urge to pat the boy on the back. It was intimidating to go before a large audience and plead your case, especially when others before had already done a better job, and were of the appropriate age.

"Protection? The Princess has a dragon, you dumb cunt." The man laughed once more, as the court joined him. Malkym did not. The boy was trying and Malkym would give him credit where credit was due.