XXII

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐖𝐎 | Training

{ Malkym }

✧✦✧

"𝕿hat's it!" Malkym nodded, watching his sons. "Watch your swing. Don't overextend yourself."

Jace slashed down, as Luke twisted to stab the dummy.

"Good, good." He nodded again, watching the boys fight in unison. It reminded him of his brothers. "I'm impressed."

Both boys, still fighting, beamed at their father's praise. Malkym's brothers-in-law did not share the boys thoughts, glaring as they heard Malkym praise his sons for their skills. Their own father barely said two words to them, yet Malkym was always with his sons, watching as they learnt and trained. 

It was infuriating.

"Swap!" Malkym clapped his hand, as the boys swapped between dummies, helping each other out. Whilst he trained his own sons, the queen had demanded that Ser Criston Cole train her spawn. Malkym despised having to see the man who had attempted to kill him, but the sight of the scar marring his face brought Malkym some joy.

"You and your brother, attack me." Ser Criston had some questionable training methods, ones that Malkym despised. Jace and Luke watched, backing off, as the two white haired princes stepped forward to fight the knight.

He had been trained quite differently, training with his brothers and father since he was young. Once he was more capable, he was taught to analyse others fighting technique and how to use it to his own advantage. It was the same things he taught his sons. Strength and power behind the swings would come with time and age, but the ability to analyse others and work out their weaknesses was one that needed time to be perfected. It was better to start it early.

It was the same idea with technique.

"Jace, Luke, come." The two smaller boys retreated to stand by their father, leaning into his side as the trio watched Ser Criston decimate the two princes. It was not a fair fight, nor was it evenly matched, as it took all of a few minutes to put both of the younger boys on their asses, no matter their taunting. "Watch them, learn from their mistakes. See how they mix up their strokes and do not pay attention to each other? It leads to poor battle choices."

Jace and Luke were not yet the strongest fighters, but their ability to read their opponents and their technique was what truly set them apart from their uncles.

"Weapons up, give the enemy no chance to attack." Ser Harwin Strong's voice sounded from behind them, as Malkym turned and nodded at his friend. The boys followed the older men's advice, raising their swords and watching more carefully as they whispered their thoughts to their father. Malkym agreed and corrected where he saw fit. "Seems the younger boys could do better with more of your attention, Ser Criston."