XIX

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 | Dragon Pit

{ Malkym }

✧✦✧

𝕿he dragon pits were still the largest part of the city, complete with underground catacombs for the dragons to live, a large pen for livestock and an arena for training. They were far larger than the dragon pit at Alterwoode, and even after many years of visiting the place, Malkym still felt intimidated by the size of it all. It was the largest testament to the Targaryen line and old Valyria ever built.

Clicks and whistles filled his ears as Malkym turned, finding a large eye by his.

"I have already told you, Syrax." The dragon whistled, allowing Malkym to pat her cheek gently. "You know she would come if she could, but Rhaenyra is on bed rest."

The dragon huffed.

"I am disappointed too. I also miss her. I do not like the fact that we had to come to King's Landing so close to her giving birth." Syrax snorted, before shaking her head and nudging Malkym. The man chuckled briefly, leaning against the wall beside her, as Syrax settled once more. "She will be back with us soon, after the babe is born. Then, it is time for home."

Syrax chirruped at that causing Malkym to nod. Over the years, he and Syrax had come to some form of understanding with each other. It had taken a while, but now, Malkym felt comfortable visiting the large dragon when his wife was not with him, knowing that Syrax appreciated the company whilst Rhaenyra was busy.

"Father! Father, look." Malkym pushed himself off of the wall as a small figure rushed into him, arms clutched around his legs. The man chuckled, sinking down so that he was at eye level with his son. "You will never guess, Father? Guess!"

"I do not know." Malkym's eyebrows furrowed as his hand came up to run through Lucerys' hair. Lucerys was his second son, and shared his father's dark curls and eyes, though with his mother's familiar grin.

"Father, you have to guess!"

"Um, you have ridden a dragon." Lucerys burst into peals of laughter, shaking his head. "A dragon tried to eat you!"

"No, no." Lucerys shook his head once more, still cackling that familiar cackle that Malkym adored. 

"This is too hard, Luke. What has happened?"

"Arrax and I were able to complete the training that the Dragon Master gave us. I managed to get him to halt for the first time." Malkym gasped, before lifting his son up and swinging the boy around as the six year old laughed loudly.

"That is far better than I could have hoped! I am very impressed." Malkym nodded, before turning to his wife's dragon. "What say you, Syrax? Are you impressed?"