XXI

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄 | Dragon eggs

{ Malkym }

✧✦✧

𝕿he door to the nursery swung open and Malkym smiled in relief at the sight of his children inside and protected by the guards. It had been hours since Camryn's birth, but Malkym had been adamant that Rhaenyra get some rest before seeing the boys, knowing that they were small whirlwinds most of the time.

"Father!" Jace, already dressed in his clothes for dragon training, slammed into his father, as the man picked Luke up in his other arm. He smiled widely, keeping both boys close to him as they buried their heads in his neck. "How is mother? Is she alright? The baby?"

"She is good, tired but good. You have a new brother." Malkym crouched down, setting both boys on the ground, as someone huffed from behind them, and Rhaenyra walked in, holding onto Camryn.

"Mother." Jace grinned, but Malkym kept a tight hold on both boys until Rhaenyra was sitting comfortably. He released them, shaking his head in amusement at their excited nature. That was definitely more from him than Rhaenyra. "Mother, we chose an egg for the baby. Look. We can take it home, can we not?"

The boys pulled a lid off of their pot, revealing a large dragon egg, turning to grin at her in unison.

"It is perfect. You picked well, boys." Rhaenyra smiled, getting herself comfortable as Malkym hovered beside her. "Of course you can."

"I let Luke choose." Jace beamed, happy for the praise.

"Thank you, Jace." Luke whispered, with curly hair so similar to his father.

"Please tell me that someone escorted you to take the egg from the dragon." Malkym looked up at the boys as he allowed Rhaenyra to settle against his chest, an arm wrapping around her waist as she let her eyes flutter closed, still exhausted from labour. "I do not want either of you burnt. That would not serve any of us well."

"Ser Harwin did, Father." Luke giggled, sucking on his thumb as Malkym pulled him close. Jace covered the egg, joining his parents as they peered at their little brother.

"Did he?" Malkym's eyebrows furrowed.

"Aye. I did." Ser Harwin Strong appeared in the doorway. 

"I did not know you were back." Malkym got onto his feet, reaching to shake the man's hand as they both laughed. "If I had known, we would have been training."

"That is precisely why I did not tell you." Both men laughed. Ser Harwin was Rhaenyra's personal guard whenever she was in the Capitol, and as such, he and Malkym had formed an unlikely friendship.