The Past is History

A few days had passed and Ryker was doing much better. He was getting more active in helping you out, but you still held him back every now and then. 

The two of you often worked together making a bow out of the log you took with you those few days ago. You were making the bow, while Ryker focused himself on the smaller, but very important job. Making the arrows. As a Hunter and second-in-command of a whole tribe, he knew very well how to make them perfect.

"So, what is your first hunt going to be?" Ryker asked you as he blew some dust off the arrows. "I don't know yet. Maybe some small animals? I don't think I can take a deer down with those arrows." You explained your thoughts to him. "Maybe you can, but it has to be a perfect hit then. Either shoot the deer though the heart or the eye, but make sure you hit the brain in that last case or else you're going to make it suffer. That is certainly not what you want." Ryker pointed out to you.

"You want some trout?" You asked as the fish was cooking over the fire. "Yes, please." He sat up as much as he could and took the fish from you. "Want me to check your back in a bit?" He asked you. "Maybe it's better if you do. I have the feeling it's not healing too well." You sat down with him and he unwrapped the bandaged around your body.

Ryker was so kind to check up on your back sometimes. "I think it's healing well, is there something wrong then?" He asked you. "I just have the feeling that, or there's something poking in the biggest cut or it is not healing well or being infected." You told him.

He inspected the wound carefully. "Well, I can't see anything that indicates an infection." He inspected a little more before he would wrap you back into clean bandages and wrapped his arms around you. He would even pull you closer to him if he was a little naughty, you would just let him as you secretly enjoyed being in his arms and so did he this time.

"Hey, it's getting late." Ryker told you while he had his hands resting on your waist. "Yeah, it is, but I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight anyway." You crawled out of his arms and grabbed the piece of wood you had been working on whenever Ryker was sleeping. You wanted that bow to be done as soon as possible.

"Why not?" He asked you, wanting you back with him. "I feel the weather is going to change soon. I better get some wood for the fire." You walked out of the cave and went to look for some wood you could burn up to stay warm tonight.

You came back with a good stash of dry wood not too long after you left. "I feel you're holding something back for me." Ryker said to you as you piled up the wood with the rest of the supplies. "I don't want to talk about it." You tried to avoid going into this conversation. "Come on. You can tell me anything." Ryker wanted to make you feel comfortable around him. "I don't want to talk about it!" You sneered at him.

It left him a bit surprised, but he gave up. "Alright. But if there's anything you want to talk about, I'm here." He laid back down as pain creeped up on him again. "You should rest. You've been quite busy today." You didn't even look at him. "I'm fine. Just the pain getting a little more intense again." He groaned a bit as he repositioned himself to lay down.

As you kept your mind on making your new bow, you felt the wind starting to kick in as it blew into the mouth of the cave. Jaynu tried to shield the wind with his wings, but it wasn't effective enough. The wind blew past his diamond shaped wing lobes. You saw the disappointment written on his face. "It's okay, buddy. At least you tried." You came walking up to him and patted his snout, when a lightning bolt struck not too far from you.

You screamed out in fear and tears were streaming down immediately. You made yourself small and covered your head, preventing yourself from being hurt by anything that could do harm to you. "Are you afraid of lightning?" Ryker asked in a way that sounded bully-like to you.