XXVIII

"We have a few hours until we have to be at the venue, and I want to take you to see my mum before we go," Luke said as we were eating breakfast the next morning.

    "Okay," I trailed off, not really sure what to say to him. I was nervous, of course, but I wasn't going to decline meeting Luke's mom. Especially since this could be one of the only chances I actually got to meet her.

    "Don't be nervous, she's really sweet, she'll love you," Luke promised.

    I had heard Michael talking about Liz and he seemed to adore her. Luke and Michael have been friends since they were fourteen, which made sense why Mike and Liz were so close.

    "I'm not nervous," I lied and tried to cover it up with a smile.

    "Love, I can tell you are, don't lie to me, but you honestly have no reason to be nervous."

    "I know, it's just a big step, you know. Like I know we live together and everything, but meeting the parents is, like, huge."

    "You are so weird," Luke laughed.

    An hour later, I found myself standing next to Luke as he introduced me to his mother finally, a smile on both of their faces.

    "Hello darling, it's so nice to finally meet you," Liz said and pulled me into a hug.

    "It's nice to meet you too, Ms. Hemmings," I smiled.

    "Please call me Liz, and both of you, come in."

    I followed Luke and Liz into the kitchen, where Liz had made Luke and I tea. Luke sat down at the counter and I did the same, following his lead.

    "So, how do you like Sydney so far, dear?" Liz asked me as I sipped on the tea she made me.

    "It's really pretty here, I love it. And all the boys seem so happy to be back here too," I told her. Liz smiled at me with a nod.

    "You seem so sweet, how did you end up with my delinquent son," Liz laughed and Luke groaned.

    "Mum," he whined.

    "Luke's great, he's really grown as a person over the last few months. He's very sweet, you raised a good son," I smiled.

    "You helped me to be a better person," Luke stated.

    Liz smiled at the two of us and we all continued to talk about Sydney and everything going on in the crazy world of the band. After a while, Luke told his mom that we had to go so that he could make it to soundcheck for the show.

    "Thank you for taking care of my son, I haven't seen him this happy in years," Liz whispered as she pulled me into a goodbye hug.

    "Luke saved me, it's the least I could do for him," I whispered back.