44. Purple Euphoria

The shady office room had always nourished him with a feeling of being in a safe place, an escape from the hurting world. He always found it funny how the darkness was supposed to represent sorrow and here he was sitting on his chair in the gloominess of the room, not even the moonlight entering the space yet feeling like the most powerful king in the world.

He chuckled at the irony and leaned back on the chair, eyes closed, legs resting on the table, mind at peace even though everything was chaotic around him.

Jeon Jungkook- the powerful CEO of Jeon Corp, the untouchable mafia leader of South Korea was a lot of things. He had done countless good and bad deeds but nothing came to his mind when thinking of his mate, Kim Taehyung, the undefeatable lawyer reminding him of a black swan.

Jungkook believes Taehyung made his survival easy but life hell. He trusted the lawyer with everything when there were loads of other options. He chose Taehyung because he had never seen anyone survive the so-called mafia world as beautifully as Taehyung. In fact, everything Kim Taehyung owns is fascinating. But nothing can match the owner himself.

He had seen Taehyung breaking into pieces and reborn like Phoenix only to burn whatever came his way. Jungkook had seen Taehyung in pain and happiness. Yet he never asked why the omega carried the mating mark when he could erase the bond when he could've just left the alpha to that hellhole.

Every time he looked at his mate, Jungkook could hear a whimper, a soft cry, a yearning to reach out, a plea of a lone soul and his hurting wounds.

But he can't. He can't just go and hold Taehyung, tell him sweet nothings. In the back of his memory, Jungkook could see Taehyung in his arms, eyes teary, lips parted and thirsting for his last breath, blood dripping from the crook of his neck and stomach, the mark of canines glowing under the warm light. And when the alpha opened his hand, he could see the red blood of his mate, and the same cry that never stopped from that day.

"You could've saved us..."

He used to hear now and then, in the warm mornings and pitch darkness when no one was around or in the bursting crowd. No one but only Jungkook heard that voice, and he never replied. He never had anything to say.

Each time he looks at his mate's face, his glowing eyes, and his neck, Jungkook has not remembered the good things that happened between them but only that one moment.

It takes him forever to shut himself from the guilt and pain and move on with the dirty hands because Taehyung remained as a beautiful part of his memory. Broken, yet so beautiful.

"You forgot us..."

In the dark room where not even any shadow attempts to enter, Jungkook heard the voice. The very familiar voice, the deep velvety words, and the pain that laced with it.

It scratched the pit of his heart, nails digging into the wounds that weren't healed or might never heal.

Jungkook shuts his eyes tight, his breath becoming heavy and his senses malfunctioning after hearing the omega whimper.

'Was it really me, though?' Jungkook wanted to ask. He wanted to know who actually forgot each other.

"You forgot us, mate..."

The alpha heard the words again, his heart clutching his life out, lips trembling to answer.

"No...

I would never, pup"

Jungkook mumbled softly yet in a firm voice. He was trembling, eyes still closed, and his mind failing to keep calm. It was a mess, it always was when the omega mate chose to talk to him and link their thoughts- a blessing and curse Jungkook believes the Moon Goddess dropped on them.