Chapter 9: Sentimental Set-Up

Here is another update of VT. I hope you guys are enjoying the story. This chapter is all in Dante's POV!

***This is dedicated to Shoesxoxoxo for always making me laugh when I see her comments and voting. You're really awesome!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Dante's POV]

                I sat up in my room as I heard my dad downstairs. He was cursing some woman out he brought home. How lovely. I groaned and looked at the time. It’s 8:43pm. I wonder what Marcus is up to. I know he and that dude Sean were hanging out today so I didn’t text him any after school. But seeing as it was getting late, I wondered if Marcus was still with him. Well 8 o’clock isn’t that late but it’s a school night. I sound like such a parent. Seeing as I have nothing to lose, I pulled my cell phone out and texted Marcus.

Me (8:45pm): Can we hang out tomorrow?

I took in a breath as I waited for his reply. The worst that could happen is he says no. That would suck majorly though. I sat there for a moment staring at my text. So forward with no greeting. I don’t like coming off so forward all the time. Makes me seem sprung or something and I’ve only known the guy for a week now. I guess this is why I want to hang out with him. So I can just talk to him face-to-face and explain why I’m being so persistent. I don’t want to keep coming off as a crazy stalker or anything. My phone vibrated causing me to jolt from my thoughts.

Marcus (8:51pm): I’ll see how my schedule is tomorrow. I promise I’ll have an answer for you 1st hour. :)

I smiled as I read the text, even though it was not a definite answer. Hopefully he will say yes. I won’t even try to kiss him tomorrow. Staying positive, I carried on with my night with it being set in my head that Marcus would agree to hang out with me. I tuned out my drunken dad cursing out the female he brought home who was probably some strag off the streets. Maybe even a prostitute but it’s none of my business. I looked at the framed picture of my mother. This wouldn’t be happening right now if you were still here. I sighed but kept a smile on my face. I bet if my mother knew I was bisexual, she would’ve been so cool with it. Like I’ve said before, my mother was really understanding and nice. I’m not sure about my dad. He might not even care since he’s either drunk or high 80% of the time. He might just wave me off and say “Cool” with his typical slurred speech and pass out on the couch from utter drunkenness.

                After I heard the front door slam downstairs, I figured it was safe to go get something to drink before I go to bed. I walked down the steps and saw my dad laying on the couch. He was looking at the TV attentively. I walked into the kitchen and poured me a glass of grape juice and quickly gulped that down. I licked my lips and headed for my room again.

“Good night, Dante.” My dad called, startling me. I turned around and saw him looking over at me from the couch. He smiled slightly but it seemed there was also a look of remorse on his face.

“Good night, Dad.” I said smiling back at him. I turned to continue up the stairs and he called me again.

“Yes Dad?” I said walking towards him. It’s not always typical that my dad talks to me so I was pretty excited. My dad sat upright on the couch and rubbed his temples.

“I just want to apologize.” My dad said looking up at me. I was a bit confused.

“About what?” I asked.

“About everything. I haven’t necessarily been dad of the year. I haven’t been doing what I should to be a good father. My constant use of drugs and alcohol is driving a wedge in between everything I love.” My dad took a pause and cleared his throat before continuing. “I know ever since your mother died, I have been distant.” My dad paused again, with his eyes glistening with unshed tears. I couldn’t help but to start and tear up.