XVII

Pix's POV:

The blizzard has only begun.

The wind is howling, whipping my ears as the snow spins around us like a ferocious hurricane.

Gem's staff is raised above her head, glowing an eerie purple hue as we trudge through the snowstorm.

"The eye of the storm," I manage to say through my gritted teeth. These mountaintops were just like the desert in a way. It was always freezing on a night in the desert, and there would always be a sandstorm slowly rolling across the towering dunes.

"That's where Scott is?" Gem asks skeptically as thunder claps above us.

"He's got to be the source of this storm,"

A look of realisation crossed her face.

"Smart, right?"

She let out a huff - but I could see the smile playing on her lips.

"Not smart. More... intelligible,"

fWhip snickered and Gem pelted him with a death glare.

"Why is it still snowing on us?"

Sausage had a look of confusion - and traces of mischief - smeared on his face.

Gem sighed, and I could only imagine what she was thinking.

"What is going to shield us from this heck of a storm?" Gem asked, and Sausage's face lit up with joy.

"That hat seems big enough," fWhip suggests, and laughter echoed around us.

"Good one fWhip!" Pearl was laughing hysterically, and Gem's face was set in stone - a face bored of this nonsense, and I couldn't help but crack a smile.

"My crystal in my staff grows brighter when we get closer to Scott," she explains.

"So it's essentially a game of hot and cold?" Joey asks, raising an eyebrow, and Gem nods, probably impressed at Joey's analogy.

The crystal is faint, barely glowing. It seemed to have stayed the same, dim light this whole time.

"It's getting brighter!" Gem exclaims.

Joey rolls his eyes. "Barely,"

I sigh and my shoulders slump dismally.

"This is going to take a while..."