XXIII

Hi guys! Thanks for taking us up to 50+ votes and 700+ views! Y'all are so kind! Thanks for all this support - so much that when you are on a laptop or PC and search up 'Empires Smp' you have to scroll down and press the 'Load More Stories' button, it's right up the top! I have wanted to be a writer all my life so you don't know how much this means!

Sorry for holding y'all up! On with the story!

fWhip's POV:

Time was a mystery.

Gem had been at it for hours now, trying spell upon spell upon spell and flicking through her grimoire again and again and again.

I had tried to reason with her.

She wouldn't give in.

Sausage tried too.

That didn't work either.

If she wasn't willing to listen to us - her two siblings - she wouldn't be willing to listen to anyone.

Only the Wither Rose Alliance stayed.

The others left, one by one.

I didn't blame them - it was cold.

Frost was biting at my nails, and it was lucky Sausage and I decided to wear warm clothes on this trek.

A bead of sweat trickled down Gem's forehead, while her jaw was clenched in frustration and determination.

We had been in the heart of the blizzard and dawn had just passed according to my pocket watch. We had been freezing half to death, yet she was sweating.

"Gem,"

Her eyes don't break focus, but she manages to hiss through her gritted teeth.

"What is it fWhip? I am busy right now!"

Sausage steps in.

"Gem, you need to take a break! You are sweating in this hell of a blizzard? Does that not concern you?"

Her face was still set, her eyes squinting to be shielded from the illumination growing brighter by the second.

Sausage steps closer as a sizzling sound starts to fill the air.

"Gem!" he cries. "What is this? What are you doing to yourself? Look at yourself and try to convince me that you're okay!"

I can tell his voice is rising, but the volume gets whipped away.

"Sausage!" I cry. "Get back!"

But the blizzard is picking up pace and the hissing is growing louder, meaning my words carry no meaning throughout this storm.

A burst of bright light sends me flying backwards, nearly tumbling off the cliff face.

My head is throbbing.

My heart is pounding.

The hissing has ceased and the light is dying down.

But I trudge towards the centre of the mountaintop, the snow crunching under my boots.

And there they were.

Gem and Sausage, both lying unconscious, with Sausage's arms wrapped around Gem's torso.

"Oh,"

I bite back tears, but my head is swirling like the inside of a snow-globe.

"I've lost them," I mutter, mostly to myself. My voice is quaking, my hands are balled into fists of anger.

"I've lost them both,"