XXVII

Joel's POV:

I had always been displaced.

I used to have no home.

No identity.

The tide lapped at Mezalea's shoreline, whispering a gentle hymn of swishing song.

I sat there, looking wistfully at the horizon, contemplating the years of me living without my biological family.

All I used to know was that my name was Joel and that I was alone in this world.

I dabbled my fingers in the water, the tickling coolness soothing the heat that was beating down on me.

Katherine's warm embrace surprised me.

The memories swarmed back like a raging river as my consciousness returned, fueling me with the energy of burning suns.

I single handedly dragged my wife's motionless body into the ocean, the lump in my throat hardening as I turned to face Katherine.

The other rulers still hadn't made a comment on the previous events that had occurred.

Thank the lord they hadn't.

I swear, bawling my eyes out in front of a bunch of my allies wasn't portraying the best image.

Yet, it felt amazing.

It was all of my regrets that had swarmed around me like an hive of aggravated wasps disappearing into wisps of smoke.

I looked down at Lizzie's body dismally, wishing that each time the tide dragged outwards it would cleanse her pain.

Of course, that wish would never come true.

It felt odd, being King Joel of Mezalea. Especially after that heavy memory droppage.

It was funny to think that I was actually supposed to be Lord Joel of House Blossom, ruling the Overgrown alongside Lady Katherine.

*FLASHBACK*

I clumsily drop down onto one knee, bowing to the two Royals before me.

"I-I apologise your Majesties," I stutter. "I stumbled across your prosperous lands-"

Looking up, the two shared a smile, my words slowly drowning out in confusion. Yet, evil did not flash in their eyes.

"You're too kind," the Queen says affectionately, laying her hand on my shoulder.

The corners of my mouth twitch into a smile.

"Do you have anywhere to go, son?" the Mezalean King asks, and I am taken aback by his use of words.

"S-son?"

The Queen takes her hands into mine as I shake my head with bewilderment.

"You know, darling," She smiles another reassuring smile. "I'm Jill, and this is Steve,"

The King nods.

"We don't have an heir yet," he says, shooting a significant look at me.

And I can almost feel my eyes widen so far that they could have popped out of my skull.

Me? The King of Mezalea?

Maybe this was who I was destined to be.

Maybe this is who I am.