XXVIII

Pix's POV:

That...

That was a lot to take in to say the least.

It was all a blur of tears and apologies.

Joel was letting the water tickle his fingers, occasionally snatching a glance at his wife's unconscious body, whilst Katherine was conversing with Pearl and Shrub, presumably about the previous series of events.

I reach into my satchel, contemplating whether to pull out my rockets and learn of the others' situations.

Yes, I decided, yanking the trigger on my elytra and calling out to the rest of the people here that I was leaving.

"I'm going to visit Jimmy,"

Joel looked up at me, a pleading aura in his eyes, and I felt bad when his eyes fell when I shook my head.

"I'll see you soon,"

Katherine, Shrub and Pearl are all calling "Bye Pix!" and "Stay safe!" whilst Joel gives me a warm smile and waves goodbye.

My rockets bang and I propel into the air, my elytra unfolding on cue.

The scenery changes fast - the red sand dunes morphing into rippling waters.

In a matter of a few minutes, the compact swamp is swirling beneath me.

Yet, not in the way I imagined.

I take to land, finding the small clearing just outside Jimmy's shack.

The leaves are riddled with snow, as is the ground, and the warmth of the mesa quickly drains from my body.

A silhouette of a sulking man meets my eye.

Jimmy...

I feel a twinge of sympathy pull at my heartstrings. In all the short gatherings in the past few hours, not a single emperor had seen Jimmy's face.

He didn't know anything.

He didn't know Joel was alive.

He didn't know Lizzie was unconscious.

He was severely uninformed.

Come to think of it, we're all severely uninformed.

Questions dart through my head like a sandstorm's wrath.

Is Scott still corrupted?

Is the Wither Rose alliance still intact?
Is-

A voice calls out, dragging me back to wretched reality.

"Pix?"