1

I walked into the kitchen and put my bags down before going into the refrigerator to get something to drink

I walked into the kitchen and put my bags down before going into the refrigerator to get something to drink. It had been a long day and even though I couldn't wait to get home, I wished it was different home because in this house I was a prisoner.

Imagine being treated like a child at 24 years old, any other young woman had a job and was trying to make their way in the world but here I was, a glorified prisoner, how fun. I wasn't allowed to even look in a boy's direction because if I did, I would be called a whore in not so many words.

I couldn't stay out past 9pm and 11 on a good night if he allowed me to go out with my two best friends, I had to let him know where I was at all times and I could never for the life of me act a certain type of way or else he'd have my head.

It was always like this as far back as I could remember but I felt like he was punishing me because our parents left and he had to step in to take care of me. He didn't have to because our parents paid nannies to take care of us until he got to 20 and decided that he was going to be my primary caregiver.

I was a millionaire before the time I hit two years old because my father came from money but I would give anything to have a normal comfortable life and not have to deal with my brother if I didn't have to.

"You're an hour late, where were you?" Speak of the devil and he will twist the sword in your side.

"I stopped to get some gel for my hair."

"That still wouldn't make you an hour late." Anuh like mi did ask fi dis enuh, mi could a duh just fine without all a dis every single day.

"Chro bloodclaat Niko, mi did need a break. Gosh." I opened the garbage bin and dropped the bottle inside before picking up my bags knowing that he was ticked off.

"Ladies don't curse." I mocked him in my head and rolled my eyes. "Roll your eyes again, I dare you."

"Weh yah guh duh, tek weh mi car keys dem? Tek two hours off a mi curfew time? Lock me in the house for two weeks? Nothing that you do doesn't faze me anymore Niko." I went to walk past him but he grabbed my arm and I rolled my eyes yet again.

"Watch yuh self yer, doh mek mi affi fuck yuh up."

"Duh anything weh yuh wah duh Niko, I care zero."

"Yuh lucky seh mi love yuh."

"Yuh could a fool me." He let go of my arm and I left him there. If a suh him treat smaddy weh him love, mi nuh wah si how him treat smaddy weh him hate.

"Lila." I saw her at the top of the stairs and I smiled. Mrs. Emma Gordon-Reynolds, my brother's better half and the one that made him keep him head on his body on most days when I purposely pissed him off because it felt like the only time he saw me was when I did something he didn't approve of even though he kept me on a tight leash. They were high school sweethearts and she was just a breath of fresh air.