47

Sienna Reynolds-Ashman

I followed the lawyer into the interview room and here was the last place I wanted to be but it had to be done for my sake but also for Kareem and Iana's as well.

"You can have a seat here Mrs. Ashman."

"Thanks Monica." She pulled the chair out for me and I sat down rubbing my belly. The action had become second nature to me and I did it without a second thought all the time.

"They're bringing her in now."

"Okay and thanks for doing this."

"And Mr. Ashman won't know about this?"

"He'll know." Worry etched onto her face but I touched her hand and she looked at me. "Don't worry about it, your job is safe. I promise you that."

"Okay, I trust you." The door opened and in walked Belinda with the bailiff behind her. No words were said as they got her settled into the chair on the opposite side of the table. "Thanks Deacon."

"No problem Miss Hughes and I'll be outside the door if you need me." He left the room and closed the door all while Belinda stared me down with a nasty look on her face.

"Does he know you're here? Did he send you? Why are you here?"

"I know you hate me an mi honestly really nuh care nuh more cause mi neva eva duh yuh nthn and the only reason I'm here is because of my husband and his little sister."

"Husband?"

"Yes, we're married and I'm sure you've noticed that I'm pregnant with our first child, your first grandchild that you won't get to meet." Her face fell a little bit she quickly picked it back up.

"Why are you here? Yuh come fi rub it inna mi face seh him married yuh an breed yuh even afta everything weh happen?"

"Cut di fuckry Belinda fi di love a everything good an precious inna dis world. As mi seh before, yuh nah fi like mi but weh yuh nah guh duh a wul di fact yuh know seh Kareem wah adopt Iana an yuh bitter cause yuh know yah guh in yah fi years an yuh nuh want dem figet bout yuh. Truth be told is seh dem aguh remember yuh but fi all a Di wrong reasons cause instead yuh guh seek help fi all a yuh problem dem, yuh mek it lead yuh fi duh fuckry weh aguh haunt yuh kids dem fi di rest a dem life."

"How-."

"Mi nuh done talk suh listen." She got quiet and I continued. "If there is even a chance of them forgiving you, are you willing to throw it away just to hold your power over their heads? You know Iana is in good hands because Kareem will protect her with his life so just sign the papers and be one step closer to having your kids look at you like the mother they grew up with, the mother that loved them and not this shell of the person you once were to them."

She held out her hands and Monica looked at me. "Hurry up before mi change mi mind." Monica slid the papers out of her bag and placed them on the desk with a pen. We both watched her intently as she went through and signed where she needed to before she pushed everything back to Monica. "Will you send me a picture of the baby?"

"Huh?" I asked because I almost didn't hear her to how lowly she had been speaking but I wanted to hear her ask it again.

"Will you send me a picture of the baby?"

"Do you really want that?"

"Yeah."

"Okay."

"I think that does it." Monica said as she put the papers back into her bag and stood up before walking over to the door and knocking.