one

Monday, October 25th, 1985
Mickayla's POV:

Moving from California to Hawkins wasn't even my choice to begin with, but when you have an drunk father and an emotionally unstable mother along with a younger sibling, who you don't have a fairly well relationship with, and along  the passing of...

Moving from California to Hawkins wasn't even my choice to begin with, but when you have an drunk father and an emotionally unstable mother along with a younger sibling, who you don't have a fairly well relationship with, and along  the passing of your older sibling no one seemed to acknowledge, you can't make those decisions for yourself. California was my home. Along with my best friend, who moved away prior when we were pre-teens. Hawkins definitely wasn't my home. "Mom" said we needed a fresh start, a start of something clean and peace. In reality she wanted to get out of California because we were broke. But hey, Dad hasn't been drinking. Yet. Staring out into the grey clouds of the depressing small town called Hawkins from the backseat of our 1986 Black Challenger that we hardly ever used. The love I had for this car was so surreal, I had a plan on asking for the car since I'm starting a new high school senior year in the middle of the semester. As we turned the corner of Cherry Lane noticing the families who lived there, seemed quiet, sorta like a ghost town. Pulling up to our home with the moving van behind us the whole car ride from California. We pull up to our new house which will now be considered "home" I step out of the car stretching my legs and head to the moving van to get my things.

After grabbing most of the boxes that contained my stuff and items, I hear my name and sister's being yelled from downstairs.

"Mickayla, Katherine Sierra!! Downstairs! We have company!" My dad's booming voice gives me goosebumps at the slightest.

I make my way downstairs along with my sister trailing behind me. My eyes scan the family in our unfurnished living room. A girl somewhat around the same age as my sister, fiery red hair, blue eyes, cute speckled freckles along her face, holding a skateboard, obviously not wanting to be in our home rather somewhere else for her time being. A mom, who looked incredibly identical as the little girl, holding her by her shoulders as she smiled at me and my sister. A dad who looked nothing like the girl, my guess wasn't her biological father, conversating with my father not taking notice we were right in front of his face.

My eyes meet with the tall, big built, curly mullet wearing blonde teenage boy, his bright blue eyes locking with mine. He looks so familiar. Who is he? Studying his body along with his sharp face structure he notices me burning every detail of him with my eyes and clenching his jaw and pulled a little smirk. I quickly darted my eyes away embarrassed.

"Mickayla, Katherine, these are our neighbors, The Hargroves. These are mine and my wife's pride and joy" He laughed playfully towards the dad of the boy.

"Hello, to you both, my name's Neil, my wife Susan, and my two kids.." Neil stops to allow them to speak for themselves.

"Uh-hi, I'm Max" she says with a faint smile. Max.Fits her well.