twenty-two

*Alcohol Use*

Saturday December 20th, 1985
Sierra Household
9:45pm

Mickayla's POV:

Billy was acting, weird? You can say

Billy was acting, weird? You can say. We haven't spoke in 3 days, since the last time I saw him at work, I tried calling him, no answer. Talk to him at school. Ignored. Shit he wasn't even sitting with our friend group at school, he was again sitting with Tommy, Jason, and all the basketball team. There was a party tonight, Steve was hosting it, and I'm certain Billy would be there, but did I want to go? No. So as much as the group begged me to go, I stayed home. Dreading every second of it. I stayed in my room the entire night, Katherine offered to watch movies together with Max downstairs but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I grabbed my cassette tape of "Like a Stone" by Audioslave, entering it into my cassette player. Plopping down on my bed, the scent of Billy's cologne filling my nose lingering as when he was here the last time. Why the fuck was he ignoring me? I bopped my head to the bass of the music vibrating across my room.

"I'll wait for you there
Like a stone
I'll wait for you there
Alone"

The guitar solo began, I sigh, my mind continuously thinking about Billy and every possible reason as to why he suddenly wants nothing to do with me. Ironically my phone on my nightstand began to ring, I sit up, lowering the music, then picking up the phone. I can hear music playing in the background, laughter, screams. A party? On a Tuesday?

"Mickayla?" The familiar voice speaks. Robin.

"Hey Robin? What's up?" I ask, a little taken back that she was calling me from that party Steve was hosting.

"Hey uh, I need you to get down here, it's uh, kinda important, like you need to get here now." I take it from the tone in her voice it was something serious.

"Can I ask why?"

"I can't explain it, you just, need to get here, immediately." She hangs up before I can even answer. Damn it Robin.

The anxiety was crawling through me, my heart dropping actually. Now she has me worrying. I grab the keys to my Challenger, walking downstairs, telling Max and Katherine that I'll be back and what had Robin had told me. I race into the drivers seat, speeding off to Steve's house. Please don't be Billy.

I got to Steve's in the matter of what felt like seconds, his house filled with teens, drunk, high, throwing up, making out. You know typical teenagers. I lock eyes with Chrissy who hugs me.

"You made it!" Chrissy exclaims handing me her cup filled with liquor.

"Unfortunately, have you seen Robin? She said something to me on the phone, said it was urgent." I stammer my words taking her cup, drinking it.