CH.16. COURT

"Wake up miss!" Purnima said while tapping Evi's face. "You've slept way too much"

Evi groaned and fluttered her eyes open. The sun was glaring through the windows. She massaged her temples as her headache worsened due to lack of sleep. Her sleeping habits were not in any hurry of leaving.

"But why are you waking me up? I am a guest, I shouldn't have any errands to run"

" You are called in the court miss" Purnima said as she handed Evi a glass of water.

"Huh?" Evi's face distorted in confusion. "What for?" She sipped her water just when her eyes widened. "Wait what did you just say?"

"You've been called in court" Evi's mind filled up with doubts. "Did I do something? Shit did I go on a rampage when I was asleep?"

"MISS!" Purnima huffed as she shouted Evi's name for the fifth time. "Get up and get ready! Your whole outfit is right now a disaster!"

Evi turned to the mirror kept at one side of the room. Her hair was having an uncanny resemblance to a crow's nest while her dress seemed to have gone through a terrible hurricane. All in all, she looked like as if she had swam through the river Ganges and traversed through the himalayas and come back.

Evi looked back at Purnima.

"Why are they asking me to go to court?"

" I don't know. But some man was brought into the court this morning by a few soldiers. Two of the kings present for the swayamvar had put forward a complaint and somehow you are related to it"

Evi tilted her head in thought. "I hope its not what I think it is". She got off from the bed and got ready as per Purnima's instructions. She hoped this little slip up wouldn't break off the contract she had with Krishna.

She rushed through the corridors just when she bumped into a girl.

"Sorry! I was in a hurry to the court" Evi apologised as she helped the girl back onto her feet.

"Don't worry, I was on my way to the court too" The girl, almost in her early twenties, said as she rubbed her hip.

"Oh! So do you know what's happening there? Because I was called in to the court for the session"

The girl looked at Evi.

"Oh its you! Don't you remember me?" The girl said.

Evi realised her intuition was right. It was a girl from the shop where she created a ruckus yesterday.

"So it's about the chaos from yesterday? I didn't know it was such a big deal." Evi said while holding an apologetic face.

"Because of the two royals, the shop came under a bit of scrutiny. My father was called to the court by the royals to punish his actions"

"The shopkeeper's your father?"

"Yes. I am the youngest of three daughters. Maybe that's why he is so grumpy all the time" She laughed.

"I don't follow" Evi said.

"He doesn't want me to take over the shop. According to him, after I get married , the shop will be named to my husband and he doesn't want that. But my mother died before they could have any sons. So he wants to hold on to it as long as he can"

Evi sighed. She couldn't believe she got herself into such a problem. Not only were the kauravas and Karna involved, but also inheritance.

"But it will be fine if I do get the shop you know? I am good in business and I never thought of getting married" The girl replied in a solemn tone.