CH.28. BLAME

The palkis were brought out for the women, as the Pandavas finally headed for Hastinapur, along with their new Kulvadhu.

To their reluctance, Shikhandini brought Evi for moral support, and to Evi's distress Draupadi tagged along too.

" Draupadi, its not safe" Evi said to her, for the hundredth time, as both of them walked towards the exit.

" I know" Draupadi huffed. " But I won't let them push around Jiji. I will become her shield, the way she has always been mine"

" But that's why I am going. You are still young, they can easily overpower you"

" But Govind will soon take you away. And I will have to come with you. I want to spend as much time as I can with Jiji"

" Draupadi I told you, I cannot accept you as my wife" Evi requested Draupadi. Draupadi had been adamant on following Evi wherever she went, and Evi wasn't sure how to keep Draupadi at bay. 

" I know. You don't have to. But you don't get to dictate what I do or not. I have accepted YOU as my wife, and nothing will change it" Draupadi said as she entered her Palki. 

Evi took a deep breath to release the tension building up in her head. She could not deduce what problems Draupadi might face, and what precautions would be required. "Duryodhan won't do anything with her. Dussashan and Karna are out of question. Arjun also won't do anything. The other Pandavas.... I hope they won't do anything. The other Kauravas.... damn I dunno. Who else is there? Obviously the elders would leave her alone.... Hopefully. Does she have an enemy? Ahh... my head hurts"

"What are you thinking Devika?" Evi turned around to see Sahadev.

" Just trying to think up of an apology for your Jyesth" Evi said in a low tone. " How are you all anyways? Sorry I got you all caught up in this"

" Its not like we would have been able to avoid it anyways" Sahadev sighed. " Anyways, I am fine. So is Nakul. We both don't hold any grudges against anyone... However, I have a question'

" What is it?"

" How do you know about stuff that happens even when you're not around?" Sahadev asked.

" Well Krishna didn't make me his fiancee for nothing. You think I got the proposal because of my beauty?" Evi laughed.

" Well, beauty is subjective" Sahadev said. " But... does that mean you are extra ordinary like him too?"

" I would say I am out of ordinary" she patted Sahadev's shoulder just when the other pandavas along with Shikhandini and Kunti came along. Devi Nainavati and the Pandit came too, to see off Shikhandini along with her family.

" I am taking my leave Father, mother" Shikhandini touched the feet of her parents along with the Pandavas.

" God bless you Putri" Drupad and Prishati said with tears in their eyes. " Notify us if you ever face any problem okay? Don't try to solve everything alone" 

" Ok" Shikhandini gave a curt nod, as she knew she wouldn't be following that order. she turned and walked to Evi, who was standing at a corner, having no one to bid goodbye to. " No palki for you then? what about horses?"

" Do you think I am that cruel that I will put innocent lives of animals in danger?"Evi did a fake loud gasp.

" So you're going to walk?" Shikhandini sported a concerned look at her husbands. " There should be something that we can do"

" Shikha, so many people will be walking. Its not impossible you know. Plus, I am basically going there as your maid. Without Krishna around, I literally have no royal connections. So stop worrying about me"