CH.64. MIND AND SOUL

The birds were not being mistaken for alarm clocks anymore, as Evi finally fluttered her eyes open.

One year. One year had passed since she stepped into this world. And in just these few months, the whole Mahabharata had happened. From Swayamvars to Dyut Sabha, and the war, everything was over. So what now?

'GOODMORNING CAPTAIN EVI'

A dialogue box shielded her eyes from the bright light that illuminated the room.

A dream? Evi slowly turned her head to the other side, pain and exhaustion weighing down on her every movement.

The room was almost like a hall, white walls decorated with gold and silver, as the ceiling displayed the greatest craftsmanship she had ever witnessed. 

No one else was in the room, Evi sighed, trying to make herself comfortable in the bed and sheets. She didn't want to face the reality anytime soon, all she wanted was to drift away in sleep. But her mind was already conscious. She tried her hardest, to not let any memory disturb her peace, but all that had happened wasn't something she could so easily ignore.

Pushing herself up, she sat on the soft bed, looking out into the veranda. The white walls and floors were already shimmering under the sunlight, almost luring her in. But the first thing that she noticed wasn't the bright light, but the dark shadow that lied behind her. 

" Hrida" She wanted to call him, but did she even have such a right? She could have not let Hridasura and the Kuru family become familiar, she could have kept them separate, as she always knew that the Kuru family only brought destruction with it. And in the end, whatever went down, happened because of her presence only. If she hadn't meddled in the timeline, maybe everything would work out differently.

She stared at her shadow, spacing out as she remembered that Hridasura had somehow been brought back to life, and the last thing she wanted was to bind him in another obligation. 

" I should let you be free of me" Evi breathed out, as she caressed her own shadow.

" My Queen, you finally woke up" Hridasura's voice made Evi freeze up for a moment. Slowly turning her gaze to her husband, she could not help but break into tears.

" Hrida... " She cried as Hridasura instinctively pulled her into a hug, consoling her that everything was fine.

" I am sorry for betraying you, my Queen.... I am sorry for not following your orders" Hridasura apologised as Evi buried herself into his arms. " I am sorry-"

Hridasura couldn't apologise anymore as he felt Evi's lips on his, weak, but filled with love as well as restraint. 

Evi didn't know what pushed her, but she couldn't deny that Hridasura had given her what she needed the most; companionship. She couldn't let him replace Ren, but it was time for her to acknowledge, that in this world, there were actual people who were able to care for her. In her war torn world, where the only person she could trust was her own soul, who still betrayed her, she didn't let herself be swayed with such emotions. But here, she knew, if she wanted to survive, she would need to feel things. And to accept Hridasura, would be the first step.

The kiss was short, but enough to convey the feeling of acceptance. Evi buried herself again in Hridasura's arms, who was frozen on spot because of her actions, as she hummed softly, "I forgive you"

Hridasura was again almost pushed to the edge of tears, as he softly raised Evi's head, wondering if he should display his own love for her or not. Evi tilted her head, smiling softly while resting her cheek on his palm. Hridasura didn't want to overstep, but he knew his feelings were reciprocated. He planted a soft kiss on her forehead, and proceeded to keep her in a warm embrace till Evi was accustomed enough to deal with the cruel reality.