26. Like a family

(Y/n)= Your name

(L/n)= Last name

(H/c)= Hair color

(E/c)= Eyes color

(F/c)= Favourite color

(Y/n) POV

Honestly, I think I've never been more anxious in my whole life than today. A month has passed since the national mock exam and the results just got handled. I tried to compose myself before facing the man at the other side of the door. 

I took a deep breath and knocked on the door twice.

"Enter," a stern cold voice commanded.

"Then, excuse me."

After closing the door behind me, we exchanged a quick glance. He was sitting at his desk while accompanied by Mom, Ayaka, and Sylvie. I suppose it was just fair to have all the interested parts to be present.

I refused to take a seat, I couldn't relax as long as I didn't reach my goal.

He peered at some paper sheets.

"You placed first in both the national mock exam and the University entrance exam with full marks. I have nothing to say regarding it, the issue is the project you have submitted."

"I don't see anything wrong," I bluntly replied.

"You think this is a game?"

"No, as you can clearly see my project is to establish a foundation to help children in need and nurture their future." 

"And what's the economic benefit from it?"

"Improving the image of the group and raising awareness, and contributing to the development of the future generations, but in terms of monetary incomes there are none."

The main goal of a business is to make income and especially for the (L/n) Group, one of the leading companies in the world.

"I had been pondering a lot on what kind of business my project should have been centered around, but nothing was suitable enough to convey my intentions. I grew as a person thanks to Ayaka, and the care center was a place I really cherished, so that's why I want to create a world with the warmth I've felt there." I smiled and looked over at Ayaka and Sylvie, "This is the direction I want the (L/n) Group to lead when I'll become the head. I shall not be bound by traditions or family, I know there will be many adversities, but I'm sure I'll overcome them as long as the people I cherished are at my side," I firmly looked my Father in the eyes

"I see you've grown up so much."

For the first time, the man who had never acknowledged me showed a hint of emotion while talking to me.

My Mom started to laugh.

"I guess enough with this charade."

"Mom, I don't understand what you mean by this charade."

"You'll find it out soon, after all this was also a trial to see if you were suited to inherit the group."

"Eh?!" I looked at Ayaka and Sylvie, they were clueless as me.

I was dumbfounded to find out the truth of everything after the accident that involved the quintuplets. A mix of feelings was dwelling inside me, I resented nonetheless my father, but at the same time, I couldn't help but empathize with him. I realized he was a human as well with his weaknesses just like all of us.