36

𝖬𝖸𝖲𝖳𝖤𝖱𝖸 𝖮𝖥 𝖫𝖮𝖵𝖤
𝖬𝖠𝖳𝖳 𝖲𝖳𝖴𝖱𝖭𝖨𝖮𝖫𝖮
𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 36
𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖾𝗇𝖽❤︎︎

it was the day that i was finally going to college. i woke up at around 9am and in all honesty, i didn't feel ready for the move. it was gonna be a difficult one being away from my friends family and of course, my boyfriend.

i had been packing things into boxes ever since i got accepted into upenn. so now all i had to do was get a few extra bits and bobs before my mom drove me to pennsylvania.

i had gotten ready and started to put things in the car before bella, aubrey, nick, matt and chris arrived to say goodbye.

it felt like i was never gonna see them again even though i was. it just didn't feel like that in the moment.

"shit..." nick said, trailing on the t. "i'm gonna miss you so much emmy, more than you'll ever know."

and that's when the tears started, a flood of memories with my best friends (and boyfriend), came back to me in just the space of two seconds.

"don't make me cry dude." i laughed with tears rolling down my cheeks.

"bro, you need to stop crying because now i'm crying." bella said, laughing also. "now let's all have a group hug."

we all formed a group hug putting our heads down to look at the floor.

"i really don't like this you know?" chris groaned.

"chris, i don't think any of us do." matt added on.

"yeah i know that but like... our best friends are leaving us to go to college, like what are we gonna do?"

"build on your career, that's what you're gonna do." aubrey said with a smile on her face. "we're all building careers at the end of the day, the only difference is that we have to go to college to do that, you guys just did it naturally."

"she does have a point." i said to bre's comment.

"who am i gonna call up for a coffee?" nick asked.

"me?" i laughed.

"yeah well it's not like you can just walk down the street. and also, who can we go to for their moms pasta? not you because you're what, hundreds, thousands of miles away?"

"it's a 2 or something hour flight, i'm coming home every few weeks. it's not like we're all going and never coming back. i'm sure bella and bre will be coming back sometime soon aswell."

"you're right." bella added.

i looked over at matt. he was awfully quiet during this whole interaction and clearly i wasn't the only one who noticed it.

"are you ever gonna talk matt?" chris asked.

"yeah but when you're all not here." he mumbled.

"well we'll leave you both to it then won't we?" aubrey said, shooing the other three into my house.

after they had all gone inside, matt finally spoke up.

"what does this mean for us then?"

"what do you mean 'what does this mean for us' , matt?" i asked with a frown on my face, slightly confused about what he meant.

"i mean how is this gonna work out, it's gonna be a long distance relationship, and we all know how they turn out."

"with strength and determination, any relationship can stay together. it doesn't matter on how far away they are. that's just the mystery of love matt, the future is a mystery."

"wise words from you em."

"i'm a wise woman matthew bernard, believe me." i laughed.

"i love you, you know that right?" he asked.

"yeah i do, and i love you too, you know that too right?"

"yeah i know that."

"well i better be heading off then. my mom and upenn won't wait for me." i smiled, a small tear trickling down my cheek.

"no they won't." he smiled back.

the other four were waiting at the front door along with my mom.

"you ready chica?" my mom asked me.

"i think." i replied.

"c'mon then." she said with a big toothy smile on her face.

"i love you all, nick, if you want pasta call my mom, if you want coffee, call me. chris, if you want a pepsi, i'm sure there will be a stock of it in my fridge. aubrey, if you need emotional support, call me. bella, if you're having a wardrobe malfunction, call me. and matt, if you want to see me, get a flight lover. but remember what i said earlier okay?"

"of course i will." he replied.

"bye everyone." i said giving them all another hug.

they all said bye together and then i was on my way.

goodbye massachusetts, hello pennsylvania.