Baptismal

Jezebel

The silent car ride home was the scariest moment of my life. My father was never silent. He always had something to say, and it was rarely positive. I didn't know what was running through his mind, and that scared me the most. The one thing I knew for sure was that I would be punished for my perceived disobedience. I could tell him the truth that I was taken against my will, but that wouldn't accomplish anything. He either wouldn't believe me, or Erik would get in trouble. Granted, Erik needed to be in jail, but he was the only one in my corner.

I think he's in my corner.

Erik King was a walking, talking, living, breathing conundrum. One moment he's sour and another moment, he's sweet like a Sour Patch Kid.

Whatever the case might be. I need to stay away from him. Nothing good can come from me being caught up with him.

"Jezebel, Jezebel, Jezebel," my father repeatedly muttered under his breath. He continued to say my name until the truck was parked in the garage. It was creepy; like he had fallen into some sort of hypnotic trance. "Get in this house. We got a lot to talk about. Gimme your phone."

"Why?"

I yelped when he grabbed me by my collar and shook me.

"You don't get to ask me questions, little girl. Give me your phone!" he yelled, saliva spraying in my face. I slipped my hand into my pocket and tossed it to him out of fear.

"Oh? You're throwing things at me now? You let that White boy boost you up, but you'll see."

"No, Daddy. I wasn't throwing anything."

"So, you calling me a liar?"

"No, Daddy," I answered, shaking my head in panic.

"It sounds like you were calling me a liar. Bet."

My father slid out of the truck and rounded it.

I need to protect myself.

I locked the door right in the knick of time. The enraged expression on his face would haunt me for the rest of my life.

In a perfect world, locking the door would've protected me, but I forgot one minor detail...he had a key. He dangled the keys in my face with a sinister grin before unlocking the door.

"Stop! Let me go, Daddy!" I screamed when he grabbed me by my hair and yanked me out of the truck onto the dirty garage floor. I cried for help as he dragged me by my hair across the garage into the house.

There's no use. No one is coming to save me.

He slammed the door, locked it, and simultaneously sealed my fate. My hip throbbed in pain from the fall and my scalp burned like a raging California wildfire.

"Who was that boy, Jezebel? And you better not lie to me if you know what's good for you," he sneered in my face while he tightly gripped one of my afro puffs. "ANSWER ME!" As much as I wanted to answer, I couldn't. I was choking on my tears and saliva. "What were you doing with that boy, Jezebel!? You was out there fornicatin' wasn't you?" he accused. The disgust in his voice was thick and heavy, coating me like an oil spill. My mouth dropped when he straddled me and wrapped his fingers around my neck. "You're a dirty little filthy whore. I pray for you every morning and night, begging for God to chase away that Jezebel spirit of yours, but it seems I need to try a little harder," he spoke as he slammed the back of my head against the hardwood floors. My vision danced with black dots and my lungs licked with unrelenting fire.

He's going to kill me.

"I know exactly what I need to do. I'll be back. Don't go anywhere," he warned before climbing off of me. I gasped once he released me and rolled onto my stomach with a coughing fit.

God...please save me. I pitifully shook my head. I am a fool. God isn't coming. My father is right. I am cursed to die a death as wicked and vicious as Jezebel's. God hasn't been here since my mother died. I can't wait around for him any longer. I have to save myself.

I reached down inside myself to a depth I never knew I possessed and found the strength to use my forearms to drag myself across the floor. I was almost home free when that demon stepped in front of me, blocking my escape.

Yes, that's right. He's a demon. Actually, he's worse than a demon. He's the Devil himself. You don't do things like this to the people you love. Well, I don't actually recall my father ever telling me that he loved me, but parents should love their children, right?

My father dropped four gallons of water on the floor in front of him, and I had to wonder what he planned on doing with it. "I know what we need to do. We need to flush that Jezebel spirit out of you and rededicate you to Christ. I'm gonna get rid of your sin like God when he sent the flood."

"Daddy...no," I choked out.

"No? See...that's that Jezebel comin' out of you. That's okay. According to Acts 2:38, Peter said unto them, repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

Erik

"I guess preaching can be pretty lucrative. Maybe I should give it a shot," I mused as I stood across the street from Jezebel's stately home. It was an imposing two-story with cream stucco and flagstone exterior. The front boasted immaculate landscaping that led to the grand arch and columns in front of the house. "Let's hope I get the right bedroom."

I stealthily circled the perimeter of the house until I caught sight of pink curtains. As luck would have it a trellis climbed up the side of the house and ended right underneath her terrace balcony. I took my time climbing the trellis. The last thing I needed was to rush, misstep, and fall. I would not get away unscathed, and that would ruin my chances of joining the football team. Earlier, I completely rejected the idea, but after giving it some thought, if I joined the football team, then I could fuck with Tucker some more. It was too easy to get in his head and under his skin.

Moments later, I swung myself onto Jezebel's balcony. The curtains weren't completely closed, and I could make out her hunched figure underneath her comforter. "Come on, Jezzy Baby," I whispered as I repeatedly tapped on the window of the French doors. "That's it. Come open the door for me," I said once she sat up. She threw the comforter off of her and moved as slow as molasses.

I can truthfully say that nothing in this world could've prepared me for what happened next. She threw her arms around me and cried. "Th-thank you for coming," she said with a strangled whisper.

"Did he hurt you?" She nodded into my chest as her arms tightened around me like a boa constrictor. "Shhh. Don't cry, Squeak. Just say the word, and I'll take care of him," I cooed as I soothingly ran my hands up and down her back.

"What do you mean you'll take care of him?"

"I'll go to his bedroom across the hall and kill him."

Jezebel pulled away and looked up at me with hopeful eyes. I ran a finger down her face, chasing the teardrop that fell from her eye.

"You would do that for me?" she weakly asked.

"Squeak...I'd do anything for you."

11/04/2022

Author's Corner

Is she going to give Erik the greenlight?